Buffalo or Montane?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am going to indulge myself with a slightly early birthday present and was wondering which was better: the Buffalo Belay Jacket or the Montane Extreme Jacket?

Any thoughts or experience of either or both would really help my decision!

Many thanks in advance.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Had one of the Buffalo smocks and ended up giving it away.

Found it wayyyy to warm for any activity like hiking and MTBing but too cold on it's own for anything that involves sitting around, like fishing.

Stuck with it for a while but after sweating buckets on a snowy cold 3 day trip in Scotland i figured if i'm hot then what on earth am i going to use it for.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've had both and they're great. To be honest they are much of a muchness but the montane usually come with the hood.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Buffalo is made in the UK so you would be supporting British jobs and the economy.
Montane stuff is made in China, but it is well made with a number of nice touches and little technical details that if I recall correctly are absent from the Buffalo. (It has been ages since I last had a good look at a Buffalo smock)

I have a Montane Extreme smock and I think it is really good, although I hardly ever wear it, as it is my very cold weather coat, and I live in the sunny south of England. The technical features that I like are things like well protected zippers, and little loops near the wrists for attaching gloves to so you can't lose them, and also the crotch strap (which I don't use) is removable.

Hope this helps.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The buffalo, in my case the special 6, is brilliant, never been cold in mine, but it is now threadbare(got it in 92ish)so I'm going to get another. I have also got the snugpak version, not as good, but it was only half the price, & also got something similar by a company called solo, which is very nice & a bit smarter & gets worn when in town during the winter.
The buff, to me anyway is the bench mark for this type of jacket/smock, they are tough, mine bears witness to this with its numerous tears & cuts, but still works, its done everything from winter cycling, canoeing, walking, dog walking, its been abroad to the rockies, used as a pillow, & now lives in the van for use at work. I was going to buy a new one before Christmas but couldn't find one locally, & as I've put on weight, I want to try a couple of different sizes before I buy !.

Rob

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks for the input - very useful and interesting.

I am definitely going for a jacket rather than a smock, though. I had a Special 6 shirt many years ago and, even in fiercely cold weather, I sweated buckets in it. The jacket is merely something to fling on over the top of what I'm wearing when I stop or something to put on when at camp or in the woods. I know neither of them are great near fire but I'll just have to remember not to put Sweet Chestnut on to the blaze! In the old days, I think it was Vista who made a poly-cotton outer to a fibre pile jacket, which would probably be better; sadly, they're no longer available...

So, am I right in assuming that the Montane jacket is more technical - and therefore bulkier and heavier then the Buffalo? That will introduce another layer of thinking, along with whether to support a company that makes its stuff in the U.K. or go with a different one that makes it, arguably better, abroad... Any further thoughts or observations would be really, really welcome!

Thanks again!

subzeer0

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2014
East of Durham
Many thanks for the input - very useful and interesting.

I am definitely going for a jacket rather than a smock, though. I had a Special 6 shirt many years ago and, even in fiercely cold weather, I sweated buckets in it. The jacket is merely something to fling on over the top of what I'm wearing when I stop or something to put on when at camp or in the woods. I know neither of them are great near fire but I'll just have to remember not to put Sweet Chestnut on to the blaze! In the old days, I think it was Vista who made a poly-cotton outer to a fibre pile jacket, which would probably be better; sadly, they're no longer available...

So, am I right in assuming that the Montane jacket is more technical - and therefore bulkier and heavier then the Buffalo? That will introduce another layer of thinking, along with whether to support a company that makes its stuff in the U.K. or go with a different one that makes it, arguably better, abroad... Any further thoughts or observations would be really, really welcome!

Thanks again!

me too....and just to add a little question....i am a 46 ...do i get size up or stick with my siz....sorry for the hijack but may be relevant to OP

thank you

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any reason why you're set on a pile and pertex jacket if it's only to be worn over other clothing? They're designed to work best against the skin (although I've always worn mine over a base layer), the thing I don't like about pile is it doesn't pack very well, you can get a primaloft or down filled jacket which should come in lighter, pack much much smaller and still offer the same warmth. Just my tuppence though.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
For years I avoided using a hood, always rolled up. Only last year or so that I discovered they do help. I found the belay jacket warm, never strayed from buffalo or snugpak though.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Any reason why you're set on a pile and pertex jacket if it's only to be worn over other clothing? They're designed to work best against the skin (although I've always worn mine over a base layer), the thing I don't like about pile is it doesn't pack very well, you can get a primaloft or down filled jacket which should come in lighter, pack much much smaller and still offer the same warmth. Just my tuppence though.

If I'm just going to pop it on over, say, a thermal top that I'm wearing, I prefer the pile/pertex combo because it feels drier; the slippery fabrics with Primaloft or down just feel clammy and uncomfortable when put on. I have tried the down option but felt clammy, as I said, and just reckon that the pile would disperse any lingering moisture more efficiently. I know that it will be bulkier but that's just one of those things!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I know its bulkier but like a good sleeping bag or a pair of boots, worth the extra bulk. I use my smock for stops (when wearing just a sweatshirt or thermal and just throw it over me loose at the sides for the temporary stops.

wickedwillow

Dec 29, 2010
malvern
After wearing a Buffalo for years I brought my son a Ridgeline storm mountain smock for his birthday @ £49 on offer. I like it so much I have replaced my worn out Buffalo with one, Have tested it out over the winter and its great for the price and has a few design improvements than the Buffalo and also comes with a hood. great value if you shop around.
http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Ridgeline-Storm-Smock-Mountain-Shirt-5205.htm

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
After wearing a Buffalo for years I brought my son a Ridgeline storm mountain smock for his birthday @ £49 on offer. I like it so much I have replaced my worn out Buffalo with one, Have tested it out over the winter and its great for the price and has a few design improvements than the Buffalo and also comes with a hood. great value if you shop around.
http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Ridgeline-Storm-Smock-Mountain-Shirt-5205.htm

That looks like a great piece of kit but I am definitely after a jacket, not a smock. I am after something that's easier to put on and take off an offers me a bit more ventilation. Do you know if they do a jacket version at all?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I can't really see a use for any Pertex pile jacket that isn't sorted by better, more flexible options. They are old tech IMHO that has been surpassed. Wear wicking layers with a good windshirt and a shell jacket. There's good softshells and you can tailor the kit to conditions and activity/exertion levels. A good belay jacket out of pl1 or down if cold enough not to be damp. Lighter, less bulk in the pack and perform better as insulation. The only time I've wanted a buffalo type smock and that was after paddling a river in winter. You get off, take the dry cag off then shove the pile smock on over wetsuit. You warm up quicker so you can sort your gear out then get changed. Also great for the wait for the car shuttle to get back. Now I'd just get changed quickly and put on a primaloft jacket or smock.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
P.S. IMHO buffalo is a better fitting smock, closer fitting, lighter and not as warm. Unless you get special 6 it's in Pertex 5 which is not as wind resistant and tough as Pertex 6 in the Montane version. Montane extreme is in a jacket and smock format with hood that is included and better than the buffalo hood which is a extra. Montane seems better designed, a noticeable level of increased warmth and a lot heavier as a result. If you're going to wear it all the time then possibly not an issue. These are designed to be worn not carried anyway.

I've never owned any of these garments, you could once include Mardale version as a cheaper buffalo copy, but had enough friends with them and have tried the two main versions. If I'd be pushed I'd prefer the special 6 due to fit and adjustability due to the excellent adjustment straps in the kangaroo pocket. I'd not choose the Montane extreme jacket for the reason it doesn't have that strap or any means of affecting that cinching in for optimum fit and performance.

BTW Pertex 5 is good up to about 50mph wind before it gets through. Pertex 6 is a lot higher.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
P.S. If I'd be pushed I'd prefer the special 6 due to fit and adjustability due to the excellent adjustment straps in the kangaroo pocket. I'd not choose the Montane extreme jacket for the reason it doesn't have that strap or any means of affecting that cinching in for optimum fit and performance.

BTW Pertex 5 is good up to about 50mph wind before it gets through. Pertex 6 is a lot higher.

As Paul says, to me this makes all the difference, & certainly a factor that lets down the snugpak version, which come up large anyway, so need something to trap in the warmth.

Wicked Willow, does the ridgeline smock have the waist adjuster ?, I like ridgeline stuff, so would be interested in this.

Rob

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Contrary to what many people have said I find that Montane fits me better. Quality of the montane kit is great too.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
The Buffalo BAS ( British Antarctic Survey ) Parka could well be what you are after Tiley.
Full lengh two-way zip, great hood.
They come up on the bay from time to time, love mine.

Best.

Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE