Buffalo, Montaine or Snugpack fibre pile and pertex - which is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Another vote for Buffalo, used them for years, tough as nails.

If you do not plan to be out in the mountains in winter their TecLite shirts are worth a look, I walked the West Highland Way in October in constant rain wearing one and was perfectly warm.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Montane for me, only as I bought one off a member here... Absolutely love it but by-jings was I warm cycling up to Derry Lodge with 25-odd kg of coal and kit in my panniers and trailer!

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I regularly use a Buffalo SP6, parka and techlite shirt. I also have a Montane Extreme smock for skiing. I much prefer the original buffalo pile, its much more comfortable against the skin. The Montane is a heavier grade pile that I don't find so comfy or useful until its really cold.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
...being right at the top end of the clothing scale roominess is also a factor.

If your general shape resembles an adult male silverback, may I recommend the Snugpak.

The other two are generally closer fitting in the chest and shoulder area.

If the Snugpak was available with a full length zip it would be my ideal jacket for most trips.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had the Buffalo Spec 6 for a good few years, it's another one of those bits of kit I regret selling.

I've currently got the Montane Resolute which is like the Extreme on steroids, unfortunately unless it's well below zero I can't wear it.

The Buffalo certainly felt more fitted and worked great over a base layer or thin fleece, the Montane I've only worn a couple of times so it's hard to compare yet.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Owned a Buffalo SP6, belay, and windcheater. All excellent. Live near the Montane site and tried on the smock but could never get on with the sizing even XXL for me at 46" just did not feel right and the XL to small. Dont know why.

With the buffalo it feels more comfortable, less bulky and still just as warm. Worn it in some cold winter weather in scotland many times. Also the pockets are better for me especially the chest pocket is bigger.

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
I have a Montane that I have used for about 4 years and totally love it. I have been soaked a few times yet it has always kept me warm and dry. It gets used at camps, cycling, digging snow holes and shooting the breeze around the campfire. I wouldn't be without it and am looking to get a new medium to replace the XL on I have (the joys or losing weight).

My son has a Snugpak which he likes although the sizes seem to be weird. It is a small yet is about the same size as the XL Montane I have!

G

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Had a look at the new "army techlite" style top today, they seem well made, & have pit zips as well as the side zips.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE