Buffalo, Montaine or Snugpack fibre pile and pertex - which is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
As it says in the heading

Looking to buy a fibre pile pertex fleece, being right at the top end of the clothing scale roominess is also a factor.

Any thoughts?

Dazza247guv

Jan 6, 2014
Maidenhead
I would be interested to see how this thread goes, I'm interested in a jacket of this type.

If anyone posts suggestions, could I be cheeky and ask for a link to the specific item. Only because I consider myself to be a bit of a newbie, and really only familiar with Buffalo jackets. So when a post says a "trekker" version, I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well as you are in Sheffield its got to be buffalo !, some one on here(i think)says they have a factory shop. I have both the buff sp6 & the snugpak version. I got the snugpak to replace the buff when i wore the buff out, as i was no longer going hill walking & could'nt realy afford a buff.
The snugpak is not as good, but it was half the price, it does(IMO) have a better collar than the buff but thats all. Everything about the buff says its made for extreme use, & that is what mine got, walking cycling canoeing, dog walking, its been used & abused, its now ripped in a number of places & the pile is worn threadbare. The snugpak won't(again IMO)is'nt made to with stand the rough treatment that the buff will take, but the biggest draw back is its not as warm, & having no waist adjuster you can't trap the warm air in.

I'm saving up for another buff for when the snugpak fails or is damaged beyong repair.

Rob

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I can't fault the montane extreme smock, used one for a few years now. Never owned any of the others mentioned, so can't comment. Get a size that fits properly, you only need a thin Merino underneath or nowt at all. They are designed to be worn without a base later though. Its up to you.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If you are a fat git like me the Snugpak shirts fit better for the same nominal size as the Buffalo but I definately prefer the Buffalo trouser over the Snugpak which were just too thick and heavy no matter how cold it was. The standard hoods for either aint much cop so when I see one to try on I'll be looking at getting a Buffalo Expedition hood (I've a big fat head which doesnt help)

Mardale used to make a excellent weighs nothing and packs down small trapper hat from the same P & P which if you add some milliners wire to the brim is great. It's the most breathable hat i've ever had.

Overall if you are normal sized definately go for Buffalo, Special 6 rather than Mountain shirt. Glad to see they added rain baffles to the zips on the mountain shirt. Back in '88 when I got my first I had to add one to the neck made from a pertex towel as my chest acted like a catchment zone and funneled water straight into the manboob cleavage.... Not nice.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2010
Leeds
Someone borrowed my Buffalo sp6 a while ago, I never got it back! Had to buy a new one last winter as I couldn't live without it!
The Buffalo is rugged and well made. A mate of mine hasn't had his off for about 10 years. As his is blue, which is the colours of the local rugby team, it gets used by all the subs to keep warm on the bench and apart from a few rips, is still going strong.

garethw

Settler
I would be interested to see how this thread goes, I'm interested in a jacket of this type.

If anyone posts suggestions, could I be cheeky and ask for a link to the specific item. Only because I consider myself to be a bit of a newbie, and really only familiar with Buffalo jackets. So when a post says a "trekker" version, I'm not sure what that is.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its Trakker NOT Trekker....
It's a fishing tackle company that used to offer these tops as part of their clothing range. I don't believe they are made any more..
There are past threads on this subject if you search though. When this one wears out I'd certainly get another one probably the Montane from what I've read.
cheers
Gareth

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I used my buffalo sp6 yesterday with hood, in the Brecon Beacons, climbed Cefn Cwm Lwch to Pen Y Fan, open vents at the beginning, but as we neared the ridge, the wind picked up to 50 mph with gusts over 60 with driving rain and sleet. I was warm (sometimes almost too warm) dry mostly until the fibre wicked away the sweat and then I was perfectly dry. In a word superb, but don't wear it to the pub, as if worn properly ie next to the skin, when you warm up there's nothing underneath. Not tried the montane, but I use other montane gear, so the extreme should be up to the job. Oh we canned the walk due to the wind being unsafe on the final narrow ridge!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I have one of each, can't choose a favourite between them.

They are all heavy and bulky to pack, but have their place if you know you will be in wet conditions.

I'd advise you to try them on first and be aware of your needs, i.e. do you prefer an over-the-head smock or a full-zip jacket style?

My Buffalo is the short length belay jacket with a full-zip, which I use for work because the Snugpak and Montane are a bit longer length.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Buffalo for me. One of the best all round pieces of kit on the market IMO. Do have the Trakker version too & at half the price it's pretty impressive. Wore my Buff Sp6 strides in the evenings on our trek in Nepal this Nov & had many an envious look!! Well worth the money even second hand.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Just got the Snugpak elite shirt the other week. Had tried the buffalo, but found it didn't fit my shape too well. Looked at montane, but couldn't try one on so wasn't too sure of sizing. Found the Snugpak at a really good price, £50 in the sale, so took a gamble with the sizing, which in my opinion has paid off. Snugpak sizing seems to be spot on for me. The shirt is great in the wet and is definitely warm, the hoods aren't up to much but they keep what little hair I have left dry.
Cheers
Jfw

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got the buffalo sp6 and it's a great jacket/coat not had any dealings with other makes only that buffalo offered my size XXL at the right price. It's meant to be worn close to the body to keep the heat in and to allow the sweat out.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've got both the Buffalo SP6 and Montane Extreme jacket. Both are great and are much of a muchness to be honest. Buffalo only do a smock Montane do both smock and Jacket. They are a great system, you just need to get your head around their correct use. They should be tight fitting and ideally worn next to the skin in order to work properly. I've worn them on Dartmoor and Scotland soaked through but still warm and comfortable. A light wicking t-shirt/shirt can be worn underneath without any major detriment in my experience. I don't know what the buffalo hood is like but the Montane one is good. For the UK winter they're great pieces of kit.

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
Buffalo fitted me much better. I was told it was better for the move too.

got the Hood at christmas and its a cracking piece of kit. Had the jacket for 4/5 years now-wouldn't go up the mountains without it

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I have the buffalo and I love it - fantastic winter mountaineering kit but tried on a montane smock this weekend and may now sell my buffalo to fund a change - Montane fit me really well, looked better on, zips were far smoother and didn't snag, collar lined in fleece was a nice touch as was reinforcements and things likens rings for gloves ... Oh and having tried the Buffalo expedition hood the Montane hood was far superior unless you specifically want a good to go over your helmet . My expedition good is now on eBay!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE