Budget tracker-style knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I'm actually curious now as to just how good/awful this knife really is. If I see one going cheap and easy to purchase (I'm not p*ssing about with ebay, too much hassle) then I might buy it and review it. :eek:

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
They're about 30 Canadian dollars, so why not?

What's that in £'s?

Plus there's the shipping charges and conversion charges and the worry of it disappearing at customs - which happens a little too often for my liking.
If I can find a british supplier then I'll give it a go.

I've been looking at a couple of the usual 'suspect quality knife' retailers but can't find it. :(

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
That was kind of the point of me posting this. The TOPS version comes in around the $200 mark and this one is pocket money price. Ok the steel is probably pretty poor but at least you could give the design a go.
I'm not too interested in the Tom Brown controversies, but there is an interesting bit of kit to try out. It comes up on here every few weeks anyway!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Sorry people but I absolutely cannot find a UK stockist of this knife.

It goes by the name of 'Paratrax Bowie' and is sold very cheaply ($14) on alot of US sites. But with shipping costs etc it's still more money than I'd like to spend on a knife I'm fairly convinced is gonna be crap.

If anyone can find a UK stockist then let me know and I'll get one and review it.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
That was kind of the point of me posting this. The TOPS version comes in around the $200 mark and this one is pocket money price. Ok the steel is probably pretty poor but at least you could give the design a go.
I'm not too interested in the Tom Brown controversies, but there is an interesting bit of kit to try out. It comes up on here every few weeks anyway!

Cheers for the heads up. My jibes are all in good fun at the knife not the heads up.
Greg

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Well, there is always custom designs.. perhaps the removal of that lord-awful sawback, and the stubby fillet edge. Make your own idea of the perfect "Tracker" knife!

I've seen one knife, called the X-3, that seemed exactly how I would want a "Tracker" Knife. But the blade didn't have that interesting dip in the spine. As well, it was not as slim as the Tracker Knife, more like a skinning knife on steroids.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You guys may have noticed I have deleted one or two posts, I'm sure you all noticed it went a little off topic, hence my actions.
This forum does what it says on the box - bushcraft - lets try and keep it that way folks.
Neil

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I wonder how would you guys compare the Tracker design with something like Lofty Wiseman's, after all that often gets touted as an all-you-need tool, and I'm sure everyone here would recognise his credentials.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I wonder how would you guys compare the Tracker design with something like Lofty Wiseman's, after all that often gets touted as an all-you-need tool, and I'm sure everyone here would recognise his credentials.

Hrm, sure, a guy who thinks it's wise (wiseman, hahaha) to dig with a knife is a great wilderness living profile. And for his knife? Well, maybe if I was left no other option, but to me, an axe is a lot better (or a leuku if I was forced to chose a knife). Could it split wood? Maybe, but not the logs I would use in a survival situation. Would it gut and skin an animal? I wouldn't wanna try with such a broad edge, maybe scraping a hide, but not gutting, no thanks. Filet a fish? Yeah sure... Carving? Not really small enough now is it?

That said I haven't tried it (nor have I tried the tracker knife) but judging from its looks, I'd chose another one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That said I haven't tried it (nor have I tried the tracker knife) but judging from its looks, I'd chose another one.

I have.

Its huge and heavy - brutally strong (makes a Becker Brute feel like a tooth pick). Its a fearsome chopper and splits wood amazingly well. Its just too damn heavy. I can carry the PFK, my Cegga axe and a Silky Pocket boy saw for less weight than a Wiseman Survival Knife. Its a fascianting knife and a good attempt at an alround tool - but it misses on weight. The variable grind is interesting, and its well worth a look, but I wouldn't choose it to be honest.

Red

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I have.

Its huge and heavy - brutally strong (makes a Becker Brute feel like a tooth pick). Its a fearsome chopper and splits wood amazingly well. Its just too damn heavy. I can carry the PFK, my Cegga axe and a Silky Pocket boy saw for less weight than a Wiseman Survival Knife. Its a fascianting knife and a good attempt at an alround tool - but it misses on weight. The variable grind is interesting, and its well worth a look, but I wouldn't choose it to be honest.

Red

That being said, I used his grind profile on my $30 Kukri Machete last April, and I haven't looked back since. Even with such a thin blade, I've split 6 inch thick logs, with no sweat. It's lighter, and enjoyable to use. I actually do use it as my "survival knife", and have used it to dig. I wouldn't do that with a custom knife like the Nessmuk Jojo made for me :eek: !

I've also butchered wild game, and gathered wild edibles using it. The point and sudden belly are great for gutting fish, and the thinness, helps when digging up Jerusalem Artichokes, and other root-foods. Knife only needs a touch up on a stone, even after a hard days work digging and chopping.. and if it breaks halfway down the blade (either there or the handle are the only two places I can see it breaking), I still have a fairly decent sized knife. And for $30? I'm not going to cry over replacing it!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I've just read the blurb, what the #### is 'urban survival' ? is it hunting chavs or something?

I've seen a knife like that in a film.....enough said

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE