Budget tracker-style knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I came across this on e-bay and wondered if anyone would be interested.
I've no idea what it is like as I've never seen it but if you've thought of giving the tracker a go this is surely easier on the pocket for a trial.
I know the knife itself is much discussed on here, this is just a heads up.
The usual no affiliation and connection disclaimer applies too.
E-Bay Link.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not my cup of tea at all. A knife shouldn't be expected to carry out too many different tasks or else it becomes abused and eventually breaks IMO. An axe for chopping, a knife for cutiing and carving and a saw for...erm...sawing! Plus, if your saw breaks, you can still chop and carve. If your axe breaks, you can still saw and cut, and if your knife breaks then you can still do everything sa you can use your axe choked up for fine cutting like a knife!

The Tom Brown tracker knife....the must have tool for the discerning cybercrafter.

Tom brown is a fraud and a walter mitty to boot IMHO.

Since when did a tracker need to know how an animal is feeling?

And since when did a tracker need to learn knife fighting techniques?

I have been in combat and i have killed men with my own hands and they died by me shooting them,knife fighting is fantasy land.

I have also trained and train in Systema and my 'combat system' has been pressure tested in the Kavkaz (caucasus) unlike Mr Browns fighting system that has not as he has never been in the US Military.

This knife is a joke to be honest and i do not sugar coat these things,better to carry the correct tools into the bush that will cost you less than the total cost of a tracker knife.

I do not mean to unkind to our American cousins but they lap up this bulls$%t and this 'knife' is exactly that.

Spleen vented.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Looks like it's trying to do too many things at once. Typical 'Battle Orders' fodder.
And the inclusion of the phrase ''420 stainless steel'' doesn't help things either.

I bought way too many knives like this when I was starting out to know that they are cheap, useless crap, designed to appeal to the armchair Rambo's of this world who have no real inclination as to what is required of a good quality cutting tool.

Give me the choice between no knife and that knife then I'll take it and try to make the best of it. But until then I'll take a Mora.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Since when did a tracker need to know how an animal is feeling?

Spleen vented.

Ever tracked a man? Best trained mantrackers tell you to get into the head of your target. Their thoughts, their emotions. If you know whether the animal is stressed or not, than you know how it will react to your actions.

As for the knife fighting, I assume you mean Sayoc Kali. Which is actually trained by men who work for Sayoc. Sayoc Kali is used by US Military forces, including Delta Force. As well, Canada's special force JTF2, also has training in Sayoc Kali. Kali is a Phillipino knife fighting technique, that's been around as long as there have been Phillipinos with knives. Sayoc Kali is a newer form, perfected by Tuhon Sayoc, hence the name Sayoc Kali.

Say what you will, Tom Brown Jr is one of North America's leading trackers, and he does have proof of skill. Even his competition over here will admit to that.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I agree that the knife is unbelievably unattractive, and in most ways useless. But to bad talk a man, about things that have nothing to do with the knife, I don't see a point.

Since he publically sells his knife, we do have the right to critisize it, which I often do myself. My maind problem with it, is the saw, and the fillet-edge. I have never found a saw on a knife useful. Never ever. And the teeth on all versions of the tracker, seem horrendous. As for the fillet edge, I personally think it would be great as a skinning tool, but not as anything else. If he perhaps removed the saw-edge, and elongated the blade, to cause the belly of the fillet, to slop smoother, I would actually find the knife useful. But since he doesn't, I suppose I'll ignore the knife, like any other fad.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
For me, the problem with this knife, apart from it's looks, is that it tries to do too many things. Like most multi purpose tools, it does suffer from being a compromise, and the more you expect it to do, the more of a compromise it is, and the less well it performs any one task. My father had one of those combination machine once, it had a bandsaw, a planner, a sanding machine and a spindle molder. It was a right pain to set up and to use. Besides, I don't like putting all my eggs in the same basket.

As to tracking people, I would have thought it is pretty much essential to know their state of mind to track more effectively. The tracks left by somebody who does not want to be found would be quite different from the tracks by someone who's lost and possibly panicking.

Conversely, a tracker who knows his/her :)D ) stuff should be able to deduce, from the tracks left, the state of mind of the person he's tracking.

If it's an animal, depending perhaps if it's a deer or a bear, if it finds out your are tracking it, the deer won't wait to find out what your are and bu""er off; if it's a bear, on the other hand, he might just decide to backtrack and stalk you and then eat you!

So surely, it's best to know as much as possible about your quarry's state of mind. But of course, I am no expert, so I am fully prepared to get slapped if I got that wrong :D :D

Ever tracked a man? Best trained mantrackers tell you to get into the head of your target. Their thoughts, their emotions. If you know whether the animal is stressed or not, than you know how it will react to your actions.

Answer is yes but men not man.

When you track men it is usually to either rescue,arrest or to kill plain and simple.

When you track animals it is either to photograph or to kill.

How does a mans thoughts change the impressions he leaves on soil?

So if im walking in the woods and i am thinking about what to cook for tea that night my foot prints will be different to say if im thinking about when to book my van in for a service?

Tom Brown probably is a good tracker i do not doubt that but he does venture into the land of the walter mitty sometimes.

Some of his ideas are great like the sand trap but when he says he can tell which way his head was facing when he was walking is irrelevant.

My own experiences come from doing for real and not cybercrafting on the tinternet.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
420 stainless? 420 what stainless? when they dont use the correct terminology for the steel used i automatically think its the worst kind in the 420 series. Otherwise they would be proud to say what it really is. So its pants.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
420 stainless? 420 what stainless? when they dont use the correct terminology for the steel used i automatically think its the worst kind in the 420 series. Otherwise they would be proud to say what it really is. So its pants.

Fair comment.
I've noticed a trend with inferior quality knives and it's that they are always described as '420 stainless'. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what 420 stainless means but I know enought o reallise there are different types, and just saying '420' is like describing a car engine as a '6'. 6 what? 6 litre? V6? It's vague and unhelpful.
And every knife I've come across that is supposedly made from the stuff is terrible. Far too brittle and nigh-on impossible to sharpen.
I'm sure it's possible to make a good tool with the different types and grades of 420 but my experiences have taught me to be wary of it.

Or, more specifically, to be wary of any knife whose intended application is not immediately apparent from the shape of the blade, and has '420' in the description. Along with alot of !!! and an aggressive name.

The ''ShadowKill DeathTrail Action Knife'' anyone?

Thought not. :cool:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
As far as i am aware there are 3 main grades of 420 with the best of these only having about 0.36% carbon. So not especially great.

If it where 420V then id be well chuffed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE