Buddleia walking staff

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I've had a bit of buddleia kicking around my garden for a few years now and during a clear out saved it from the skip as I wondered what it would be like to work with.
So keeping it very basic I stripped the outer bark and noticed how the inner bark bonded to the inner wood and liking the exposed pattern decided to create the following staff.
The bottom had an internal split which does not extend to the bottom so I have used a common whip to mask and also strengthen the area.
Bit of linseed and beeswax and quite happy with the result.

The closeup image does not do the grain any justice.

WP_20150630_11_43_07_Pro.jpg WP_20150630_11_44_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
It's solid right through and very sturdy without any flex, it has no pith at all as it's from an old stem.
Has a good weight to it almost verging on being too heavy.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant remember who gifted me some but i found it incredibly strong and pretty light for the given mass.
I bet Manchester council would give you a pat on the back for cutting it down. They have a nightmare with the stuff.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Thanks, I'll be using the whipping as a demonstration for my scouts to show how it can be used for other things rather than just for finishing the end or cordage.
Interesting bit is the cloven hoof style of the base, I left it alone to see what it's like during use and it gives a really good grip though the woodland I walk through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE