BSA lightning, Reveiw ( warning, dead stuff)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS PICTURES OF GAME TAKEN WITH THIS RIFLE, PLEASE DO NOT LOOK IF YOU MAY FIND THIS DISTRESSING.

After struggling with my experiences with SMK rifles i decided it was time to invest in a more renown brand, BSA was reccomended to me for its high quality manufacture and great customer service, after looking through the models the lightning took my eye, a small lightweight crabine with a scilencer and a shock absorbing scope mount, it looked like a winner.

After parting with my £250 and using the lightning for the first time it was clear this airgun was in a different league to the SMK rifles i had used in the past, the finish was perfect, the action was smooth and the trigger was crisp and light ( just the way i like it) after zeroing the 4X32 scope i took it to the feilds for small game, the accuracy was brilliant within 30 yards and i found myself popping rabbits heads wit ease, the light weight and manoverablity makes shooting a joy in all positions and the small size means its much more manoverable and versitile.

As for the accuracy, properly zeroed i was able to hit hazelnuts from 35 yards, smashing them into hundreds of peices. The power is running at around 11.5 ft/lbs which makes longer range shots alot more effective, and if i miss the kill zone & perhaps hit the chest area, it will still drop it. at close range the .22 pellets will go clean through a rabbit smashing its way through bone and organs, ensuring a clean kill,
bushcraftlevel50047.jpg

bushcraftlevel50039.jpg

So far with this rifle i have taken countless rabbits, squirrels, pigeons and other small game, ive had a couple of runners in the early days ill admit, but that was no fault of the rifle, mearly my own shooting or the scope being slightly off zero having being knocked some how.

DSC00437.jpg

All in all this rifle is brilliant as a lightweight hunting springer, has the complete package, whilst it may not quite compete with alot of heavier FT guns in accuracy, it certinatley makes up for it with the weight and compactness, the accuracy is just fine for me and many others.

Highly reccomended.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by open general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:
• to protect crops
• to protect game and wildlife
• to protect public health or safety

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/UKAirgunLaws.html

Wings :)

Angelo

Forager
Jan 26, 2010
Dorset
i have had the lightning XL for a couple of years now and its a great air rifle i dont know how many rabbits and other Uk quarry iv taken as i go out a few times a month. I put the gas ram in it around a year ago and did improve a couple of things it sounds more of a thud than a twang and has remaind legal power. i use to have a fac lience for many years until 2 years ago due to loosing land to shoot on due to clay/sport shooter cyndicates paying to have the land for them only. i only used rim fires so i gave it up and took up using a air rifle and i must say for those who say you cant use air rifles for shooting small game what Rubbish i found my field craft had tobe improved big time as using my rim fire rabbits i could take out 90yards no problem but with the air rifle to get that shot you need to get in close which iv found field craft is the key. the bsa lighting is a great bit of kit like you say you can move around in dence undergrowth no probs.goodjob nice pics Siberianfury those milkys as i call them are best fryed the big bucks are best cook a long time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I disagree. It was a timely reminder.
The membership is expected to self moderate especially regardling legalities.

Wingstoo, thank you for the link. I've filed it for reference. :D

Courteously dealt with Josh :)

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
The lightning is considered an entry level rifle and thus strap fixings i believe are not standard.
BSA's website should tell you more.
Nice review SB!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the review Josh, I've used one of them and it was a good experience, especially compared to the SMK's you refer to.

As for the reminder about legalities, it's good to have it in here because of the subject but no one needs to mention it any further, a short concise statement is all threads like this need, not :deadhorse:

Josh goodjob

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As someone who's never used a rifle I was interested in this thread so thanks. A quick question, the brown rifle doesn't appear to have any strap fixings, is this usual?

Strap fixings are not usually present on spring guns as there is precious little wood for the screws to go into at the fore end of the rifle.

The simple modification Josh has added seems to work well. - I am not personally a huge fan of slings as they can get in the way - but do help steady the rifle when making quick shots - or in the absence of a bi-pod.

I fitted a harris bi-pod to my daystate x2 shortly after I bough the rifle. It makes for a very steady shooting platform. although adds weight to the fore end when making standing shots.

A nice review Josh. you seem rather fond of your little gun.goodjob

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE