Bronze knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need a bronze age knife. Please see
http://www.wiltshireheritage.org.uk/galleries/index.php?Action=4&obID=161
something along these lines, the handle doesn't need to be amber for instance.
In exchange I offer to make to measure either a linen or woollen bushshirt or a woollen cloak. Actually I'd make almost any garment required but thought that these might be the most appropriate offers. If it's for a re-enactor I'll entirely hand sew and make in period.

Cheers,
Toddy

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello Toddy..

That looks like a nice little project for a bored School Technician. :rolleyes:
Firstly I would need some dimensions and a piece of bronze.
Possibly I could make some bronze 10% tin and 90% copper unless someone has a piece of bronze laying around.

:eek: Just had an idea.....will have a look on ebay

John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Excellent!
You haven't sent me the sizing sheet back yet from our *last* barter though. :confused: I've got green linen sitting waiting, too :)

Cheers,
Toddy

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello..I will get that done tonight. If you find any suitable bronze give me a shout.

I have lots of yew that will make a decent handle :D
John

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Good idea ..... I am fairly certain to get some there.. :D

Also there is probably some in a junk shop that I can use.

Otherwise.... I have an oven at school that goes up to 1000 degrees C . I do not think it will melt bronze even though the melt temp is about 970........ but maybe it will melt copper and tin filings.......with the help of a torch... :D b

(I have some 100% tin sticks that I got from Cornwall for retinning copper pans).

Right...heres the plan kids...start filing down these piece of copper pipe and tin then lets make some bronze. :lmao: :lm(ao: :lmao:

Game on.....

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
shadow57 said:
Good idea ..... I am fairly certain to get some there.. :D

Also there is probably some in a junk shop that I can use.

Otherwise.... I have an oven at school that goes up to 1000 degrees C . I do not think it will melt bronze even though the melt temp is about 970........ but maybe it will melt copper and tin filings.......with the help of a torch... :D b

(I have some 100% tin sticks that I got from Cornwall for retinning copper pans).

Right...heres the plan kids...start filing down these piece of copper pipe and tin then lets make some bronze. :lmao: :lm(ao: :lmao:

Game on.....

Leaded phosphor bronze (C54400) is the most common “bronze alloys (copper-tin-lead) ” used in old cast/machined bearing, the type you might find in scrap yards.
Leaded phosphor bronzes should used where strength, corrosion resistance, and machine-ability is required. It has a fine grain, and is hard wearing. It’s best cast into shape and then cold worked, or machined. It melts at between 1000oC and 1100oC and has a rockwell hardness of between B80 (½ inch bar) and B83 (1” bar)

One word of warning some Leaded bronze, contain between 10% to 29% of lead, so breathing in the fumes is not a good idea

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
I think I will just try and make a small amount of bronze from copper and tin filings as an exercise and for a laugh. :)

There is another way that I can heat up the metal.....and you will not believe me when I tell you its a home microwave cooker... :eek:

Admit it....you dont believe me. :D

Well the people who sell mini furnaces dont like this...but have a look here

It works but your partner may be a bit miffed

http://home.c2i.net/metaphor/mvpage.html

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
i've got some flat stock of what i was told is phosphor bronze that you can have to play with if you like. How much do you need?
edit- its 40mm wide and 4mm thick flat-bar

L

Lost_Patrol

The rear cassette (set of little chain cogs) on many mountain bikes is made of phosphor bronze. It may be worth a visit to your local bike shop as they wear out reasonably quickly so there may be lots of old ones lying around. :)

Edit, I've just done some Googling and found that they don't seem to use it any more for the new ones. There may be some old ones around, I know that Shimano Lx sets definately used it in the past. Sorry about that :eek:

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
I have sent a piece to shadow57, hopefully it will be the right stuff :) . Does anyone know how phosphor bronze performs as a working blade and what it needs in the way of heat treating etc.?

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello Toddy...

I have been playing with that bronze that Happy Camper (ta) :D sent me and have finished (apart from wood oil) the 1st of two Bronze K.....nives :)

Now I know that the authenticity of the design is a bit suspect :rolleyes: and is a bit "arty farty" :rolleyes: but I bet some half daft viking had a go with something similar many years ago.
The wooden part is cherry and rivets are copper.

Should have the 2nd one ready soon which shall be a lot simplier.

John

Attachments

• Bronze knife 1.JPG
    Bronze knife 1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 176

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Knife finished and dispatched..... :D :D :D

I have some bronze left over :rolleyes: wonder what to do with it.. :D :D :D

You can delete this now ED... if you want....ta John :D :D

Fire Ferret

Dec 25, 2005
Edinburgh
I saw the second knife that you made toddy at the most recent weekend away. It it beauuuutiful. very nice shape and the sheath is also very nice. If you feel like making another one i am sure that i could find something to barter :)

Ferret

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE