bronze as a liner material?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,m learning slowly and have a few ideas with all this knife making malarky,..:)

i,m a noob so please dont hesitate to tell me if i,m being stooopid,..

i have quite a few old cracked cymbals and would like to use some as liner in my new project,..

the nature of a cymbal dictates that its not brilliantly unifornm in its thickness, its hammered out and thins at the edge,.

so i took some material from the lip of one cymbal and its pretty good,,,,

i think if i,m carful in the fire i could anneal the pieces to make them less spring-like,..

some of the cymbals i have are (were) very expensive , (hand hammered on a unicorns back by turkish virgins and polished with mermaids armpit hair) and have a pretty decent silver content,..

i know a liner is ultimatly to prevent moisture getting between the scales and tang, but i may even go tang, liner, bronze, liner, scale..

or am i bitin a bit more than is chewable on my 2nd attempt,..?

basically,..is there a reason i cant use the bronze i have for this job?...

shame to waste it...

IMG00109-20101026-2050.jpg

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Sounds good to me.The contrast would look ace i think.
Going to dig out my old cymbals now!
Are they made of bronze?I thought it was brass meself?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Dong!!! what color liners matey me old cocker me chum! i too think it will look good, have you layed them all together to get an idea of the overall thickness?

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
cheapo's are brass,..and sound like dustbin lids,..

B8 is the low end entry level bronze cymbal and i think as the silver content goes up and the hand finishing they get more expensive,..

i loathe paying £250+ for something that i hit with lumps of hickory every weekend,......but hey..

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Dong!!! what color liners matey me old cocker me chum! i too think it will look good, have you layed them all together to get an idea of the overall thickness?

well,...hahaha

i dont have the slabs yet,..there in the post,..(oak burl)

but i,m gonna go for red liners ,...

AND!!! i epoxied some mosaic pins with RED DYED epoxy ,..

swit swoo,!!

i was commisioned by Elton John to make him a knife with which to peel his pink grapefuit in the mornings!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I think that would be wise. Having large surfaces of dissimilar metals in contact in a moist environment might be asking for corrosion problems.

cheers Ged,...

i think if i aneal the bronze it'll play nicer,.,..

and mores the point it'll look nicer,..

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i anealed the bronze in the coals i heat-treated the blade in,

its quite easyto work once its a little softer,..(i needed it softer to take out the spring and the curve)

a few pics , i went with advice fro ged and double lined it,..cheers mate,..

i,m just waiting for my wood and i can get on but for now,.heres the progress...

ok it looks like brass,...but i KNOW its bronze and can tell people if they ask,...lol...

DSC02960.jpg

oh i made a mosaic pin too,..it worked out, so i,ve made two more
DSC02959.jpg

DSC02961.jpg

ta for looking,..

Stu

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
awesome mate, how did you make the pins please (its new to me)....

regards.

chris....................

hahah and me!

i picked up some 8mm stainless pipe from work , then some brass pipe with a smaller OD, luckily it was a tight fit, then i used 6 bits of welding rod and one in the centre of copper , 2mm domestic earth wire..

try the fit and centralisation of the parts,...its better if they lock in and "find" their own pattern,,..if not, leave some insulation on the wire, or wrap in tape, (but u gotta judge where the face of the pin will be and hide the tape in the centre

when your happy that the components fit and wont shift,...(the ones here were perfect and needed no packing)

fill the tube halfway with apoxy, and drop the bits in with one end flush and leave the excess out the top,..

wait till it dries and file/grind the cross section to reveal if it worked or not,...

i used paper clips before too,..anything will do it really,,,

i,m gonna try dyeing the epoxy next to match the red liners,..

or just ask me and i'll try knocking some up for you,...

8,mm is best cos i got loads of stainless pipe

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hhhhhhhmmmm, sounds good to me, will have to give that a go and add it to my 6 foot long list of things to do........

thanks Stu...............

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Chris,..

PM me your Addy,...

i'll send you some lenghts of 8mm stainles,...

you can have a play then and see what you come up with..

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i know i keep saying this stu..but that looks seriously awesome!!

i,m gonna fire a thread up called "Pablo,s" next,...lol,...

i think urs will be better , i learnt a lot from this one,...so it only gonna benifit "Raikey #2"

i,m woking away most of next week so will have to wait while next weekend to see your bevels,..hahaha

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ha ha no worries mate...you take your time. good things come to those who wait and all that!! spotted a comp on here for knife makers, you should have a pop!

if its the one that Culloch is hosting for the handle kit then i,m already in ,,..lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE