British Wet Weather Camping Tips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
right then...........here we go :) ( this is tent dwelling, not fruit bat impersonations hanging from the trees :) )

what i understand of a sleeping bag is that it keeps heat in........but first you have to get heat in there.....by sleeping with multiple layers / clothes on, you keep the heat close to your body and nothing in the sleeping bag air space, you will slowly leach your heat away.......if you sleep in boxers and socks, your body heat heats up the air space in the sleeping bag that is then kept warm by the insulating properties of the bag........simples :) A good sleeping mat really helps as well.

i find it warmer and more comfortable to sleep in only boxers.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
How dare you suggest that I could possibly be wrong! (and why does taking clothes off only make you warmer if you are in a sleeping bag, but not under any other set of circumstances in the known universe?)

:lmao:

Worse, how dare you suggest that Robbi makes sense? I think that violates even more physical laws.

Jeans? Meh, who cares?

:pokenest:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found out on a recent dog walk in the wet you can operate an iPhone touch screen through a plastic bag - fortunately it wasn't one of the plastic bags I normally carry for dog walking... :O

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
hehe :eek:

next time I sleep out, I'll make sure to strip off my excessive layers to my undies! and get and foam sleeping mat.. ;)

anyone want to add some 'safe tips' to using sharp tools in the wet?

Yes. Don't use them in the sleeping bag while nude.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Don't

Will that suffice 'guv?

not really, I work all sorts of jobs in all sorts of crap conditions and even when it rains! oh the horror!

but compiling ideas on doing the safest way possible would be useful, not just for me but anyone wanting to get on with a fire or shelter building!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
not really, I work all sorts of jobs in all sorts of crap conditions and even when it rains! oh the horror!

but compiling ideas on doing the safest way possible would be useful, not just for me but anyone wanting to get on with a fire or shelter building!

Fires!? See, now you're being unsafe again. Never play with fire while nude in a sleeping bag in the rain.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Two sensible ones from me, based on a wet weather trip into the black mountains last winter:

Don't let anything get your sleeping bag wet. You have to sleep in it.

Assuming you are carrying waterproofs, put them on early if you think it is about to rain. If you let your clothes get wet before you put the waterproofs on over them, it defeats their purpose.

Oh yes, and rain can be sudden. Always assume that it will rain at the most inconvenient moment, and plan accordingly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE