British Wet Weather Camping Tips!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Can anyone show me some diagrams of a large tarp set up for a small group .
One ideal for coping with the cold and light rain.
i.e best layout etc .

I think Jed Yarnold's group shelter rig for the True North Big Tarp would adapt well to a larger 6x4m tarp. You'd probably need a couple more lifters (inside or out) under the main body of it, to stop it sagging and maximise the covered area.

bigTarp.jpg

It's the top rig here...
Tarp-Configs2.jpg

Last edited:

stueyrobs

Nov 24, 2012
chorley
buy a descent gortex jacket(full length) a mediocre one will just not do in prolonged bad weather . get a descent pair of gortex boots . take 2 pairs of waterproof gloves and 2 hats (1 for bed ) . waterproof bag every item individually that needs keeping dry and know were it is in your rucksack .if your out for a while look after your feet and never regions( talc and napolene) . try to avoid opening the main compartment of your rucksack in bad weather , anything you might need to hand put in a side pocket or whatever.if you by a tent , get one with agood sized porch . if your going to be at the same camp for while , collect firewood and cover while its dry .

akitta

Dec 11, 2012
uk
I can remenber my first outdoor experieance i had a £6.99 tent from Tescos and i was staying out for atleast 4-5 days. The Test ****** in like someone turned a hose-pipe on me... (I always use a basha now+poncho).
My Bag was so heavy i needed a horse to carry it. I lost most my gear through pulling it out in the dark looking for items i needed and didn't know where they were located. Most of the gear in my rucksack i never even used. ROFL.:eek:
I bought some "Waterproof" Boots (I walked through some wet grass and had to use plastic bags over my socks for the rest of the trip).
I now have some German Para-Boots (Wich i love).

THANKS for the Tarp information. I use my Poncho as a porch. I learnt alot (ALOT) from my first outing. I fully enjoyed every minute and it didn't put me off Bushcraft.
Glad I'm a member and can learn some Bushcraft knowledge from this community..
Regards AKITTA

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
I've found since my patrol inspections from when I was a scout, the best thing was to just not cut corners.
If im in a basha I line my rucksack and I also take a poncho. Last thing at night wrap my Bergen in the poncho... Job do e its protected n its dry.
If im camping in a tent just make sure nothing touches canvas and everything looks like it should. Rain is rain. Condensation can be just as bad, so its always a case of airing out the tents each morning. Kit inpections once again... Im a big scout at heart haha
Regards
Leaf177

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Scouts Inspection taught me too.

Whenever kipping under a tarp, always put your rucksac in the orange survival bag, tucking the extra length under the rucksac.

Always dry kit under the patrol tent (Stormhaven Icelandics) by hangign it up in the morning.

Never put dampclothes in the rucksac.

Keep the fire going all day and stack wood near the fire to dry out. Always camp on a slight slope above drainage areas.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
One things I remember from Cubs and Scouts was that we would wear training shoes with no socks in camp, boots and socks were only for hiking in or out or for foot protection during certain jobs like chopping wood or stacking big logs.

The explanation we were given was that although water would get into the training shoes, it would drain out again quickly and our feet would dry more quickly without socks. Boots would eventually let in the water, or it would get in through the thick socks that would act like a sponge and then just hold it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE