British Army Officers Canvas Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
If this helps anyone, in answer to my own question;

'Does anyone know if this would stand a cool/warm hand wash without shrinking ?? I would use woolwash or Nikwax 'Tech Wash' and air dry'.

the answer is; I gave the bedroll a good brush down first, then I washed it it a bathtub with cool/warm water and wool wash.
2 washes and several rinses and then carefully hung it out on a good sunny day and it dried in a few hours. I made special care not to lift it by the wool lining, which is pretty thin now and possibly prone to tearing when wet and heavy.

The water was the colour of coca-cola at the first wash....I don't think that was just the dye coming out :yikes:

There is a big improvement in the appearance of the bedroll now....
I measured it before I washed it and I couldn't see any difference after it had dried out. The only casualty was the makers mark and remains of the date; this has more-or-less gone now, which is a pity, but the printing was very faint anyway.

I have no idea whether this had been washed in the past and/or whether the canvas had been pre-shrunk.

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
If this helps anyone, in answer to my own question;

'Does anyone know if this would stand a cool/warm hand wash without shrinking ?? I would use woolwash or Nikwax 'Tech Wash' and air dry'.

the answer is; I gave the bedroll a good brush down first, then I washed it it a bathtub with cool/warm water and wool wash.
2 washes and several rinses and then carefully hung it out on a good sunny day and it dried in a few hours. I made special care not to lift it by the wool lining, which is pretty thin now and possibly prone to tearing when wet and heavy.

The water was the colour of coca-cola at the first wash....I don't think that was just the dye coming out :yikes:

There is a big improvement in the appearance of the bedroll now....
I measured it before I washed it and I couldn't see any difference after it had dried out. The only casualty was the makers mark and remains of the date; this has more-or-less gone now, which is a pity, but the printing was very faint anyway.

I have no idea whether this had been washed in the past and/or whether the canvas had been pre-shrunk.

I'll definitely keep that into consideration! Thanks for the tip! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE