British Army Officers Canvas Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a British Army Officers Canvas Bedroll.
I believe it was used during the 50's and possibly going up to the 70's.
They're pretty rare to find, and I was wondering whether anyone knows much about them?
Would love to hear from others that have used a similar British Army Officers Canvas Bedroll.

Thanks!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
This is mine (was my grandfather's):

DC81326A-75B2-445B-A21C-E4E035F42409.jpg

35D7F3BD-AB3F-4646-AC6B-84BF31A54283.jpg

It's a bit short for me, unfortunately, but I'm not going to part with it

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I recently picked one of these up at a charity shop - didn't know what is was until I got it home - thought it was just a sheet of heavy duty canvas. However when I got it home and unrolled it, hey presto, a bivy.
Looks to be in unused/unissued condition and it only cost me £1.99!
Not used it yet, so would love to hear from anyone who has - any tips?

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
You're joking! £1.99! I just bloody paid £100 for mine! :lmao: What a lucky find. And if you have any tips and tricks, I would love to hear them! :)

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
You're joking! £1.99! I just bloody paid £100 for mine! :lmao: What a lucky find. And if you have any tips and tricks, I would love to hear them! :)
Yeah - couldn't believe it myself when I realised what I'd got. The charity shop label said 'bivy £1.99'. To be honest, though, I thought they'd got it wrong as I wasn't able to open it out in the shop but thought it was worth it for a heavy weight sheet of canvas. Only when I got it home did I realise it was indeed a bivy. I'd never seen one of these before but realised it was a real bargain. Didn't realise they were going for up to £100 though!!!
As I say, looks unused but is stamped 1954 and has the MOD arrow mark.
Lets just say 'pleased' would be an understatement!

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
Yeah - couldn't believe it myself when I realised what I'd got. The charity shop label said 'bivy £1.99'. To be honest, though, I thought they'd got it wrong as I wasn't able to open it out in the shop but thought it was worth it for a heavy weight sheet of canvas. Only when I got it home did I realise it was indeed a bivy. I'd never seen one of these before but realised it was a real bargain. Didn't realise they were going for up to £100 though!!!
As I say, looks unused but is stamped 1954 and has the MOD arrow mark.
Lets just say 'pleased' would be an understatement!

That's interesting, my Bedroll (or Valise) was marked 1953 also with the MOD arrow mark! Is yours a dark green colour? It sure is a nice bit of equipment, weighs a bit too! Won't be surprised if it lasts another 100 years if its kept and stored correctly.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Yes - dark green. As you say, not lightweight by any means but looks like it will be bombproof.
After doing a little research I've seen that older ones had leather carrying straps. Don't know if the the 1950's ones also originally had these but mine didn't come with any - though I guess that would be way too much to expect for under two squids!!

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
Yes - dark green. As you say, not lightweight by any means but looks like it will be bombproof.
After doing a little research I've seen that older ones had leather carrying straps. Don't know if the the 1950's ones also originally had these but mine didn't come with any - though I guess that would be way too much to expect for under two squids!!

My one didn't come with any leather straps either.
However, couple of weeks back, I was looking up on Military Mart and found this Polish Leather Carry Strap.
Here's the link if you want to have a look at it: http://www.militarymart.co.uk/polish-mat-swag-bag-blanket-carrying-strap.html
Bit pricey, but its fairly similar to the original carrying straps!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The one I have is dated 1953, olive green canvas and blanket, still has the original cordage for tying the flap down, was given it by a friend of my Dads wife after her husband died, looks like new... Didn't know it was worth that much though...

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
The one I have is dated 1953, olive green canvas and blanket, still has the original cordage for tying the flap down, was given it by a friend of my Dads wife after her husband died, looks like new... Didn't know it was worth that much though...

Sounds exactly like mine! You're very lucky!

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Mine is also green with a black blanket , which the moths love by the way.
I can not see any writing on it . It also has a mattress, which maybe filled with kapok?
It still has the rope cordage for the flap.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I have one too! It looks like the date is 1950-something (it's not clearly stamped); is green canvas and has a wool inner on the base like others described on this thread.

Only problem is it's a bit grubby inside and out; I'm not sure I want to bed down in 60-odd years worth of unknown grot !! Does anyone know if this would stand a cool/warm hand wash without shrinking ?? I would use woolwash or Nikwax 'Tech Wash' and air dry.

Also would it benefit from some waterproofing to the outside only ? I was considering diluted Nikwax 'Cotton Proof'.

Any suggestions or experience with this appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE