British Army issue Tin opener (the one found in the old tin rations 1980’s)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
Its has no markings at all. Got it from a ratpack during my Cadet days in the early 80s.
Maybe the cadet ones were different from army issued ration packs.

Just checked the one in the survival box and that one has:
129-9982 BAW 'Broadarrow' 1979

So the other way round to my keyring one:
1979 - W.P.W 'Broadarrow' 129 - 9982

and also the stamping is on the blade side rather than the 'flat' side.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe the cadet ones were different from army issued ration packs.

Just checked the one in the survival box and that one has:
129-9982 BAW 'Broadarrow' 1979

So the other way round to my keyring one:
1979 - W.P.W 'Broadarrow' 129 - 9982

and also the stamping is on the blade side rather than the 'flat' side.

Might it be possible that they were made/supplied by various different contractors over the years? I know the issue P38s never had markings when I was still getting C-rats back before MREs.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Those look like copies so you could face the problem Ive had with them.

That's okay if they're copies as they will be for display only. I have a bunch of Shelby P-38's, P-51's and Aussie FREDS that are usable. Yes I'm a self confessed Military can opener anorak.:) I used to have them mounted to a cork board but broke it up for the move.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
British Army issue Tin opener (the one found in the old tin rations 1980’s)

Lost mine -had for years, desperate to find another.
Unbelievably a highlander one bought was so blunt and useless it couldn’t piece the tin.

A copy GI one by Mil Com, the metal bent in my hand on the first tin I tried to open

(just as well I tried these at home as out on a hill walk would be bad).

HELP any idea where I can buy an original Rat pack one?

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/news/item/162-just-arrived-geunuine-old-skool-british

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
Might it be possible that they were made/supplied by various different contractors over the years? I know the issue P38s never had markings when I was still getting C-rats back before MREs.
Entirely possible, usually though official army stuff would have the MOD spec number printed or stamped into it.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Get a Shelby P-51, had one that I gave away that had opened up about 10,000 cans (yes it did, was used by my whole crew) over 32yrs.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Just a thought but the one in the ratpack I was issued as a cadet was in 1982 shortly after the Falklands War (now known as a conflict). Perhaps they were running a bit short back then and using several suppliers.
Riven.

Still got mine, had it in my wallet for 41 years. I got it out of a 10 man ration pack in 1974 and it is stainless steel. The tin openers in 4 man ration packs were made of a softer alloy.

It is stamped with R&C1 1966 KF6314. So it is a 1966 issue tin opener. Hope the ration pack hadn't been packed in 1966.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
Just a thought but the one in the ratpack I was issued as a cadet was in 1982 shortly after the Falklands War (now known as a conflict). Perhaps they were running a bit short back then and using several suppliers.
Riven.
could also have been an issue of cost, stamped as opposed to unstamped.

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
There are a few sellers of FREDs on ebay.

Do a search for "FRED army" and a few will turn up (no affiliation)

I've had some for decades and they are still going strong.

The longer handle giver better leverage making cans easier to open.
The bottle opener can be used as a small flat blade screwdriver and
the tool can be used as a small "pry bar" for all sorts of tasks (obviously its not a real pry bar, but just a handy small piece of metal)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE