British army Green Water bottles

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Are there any members here that served in the military late 50's /60's that can shed some light on the subject for me.

I have recently aquired 3 examples of the green 58 patt water bottles dated 62, 63, 65.
I have tryed researching but so far not found much, only a small paragraph in Simon Howlett's Post war jungle webbing book.

does anyone have any info?
any to sell?
Did they issue a green plastic mug to go with the bottle?

thank you in advance for any help.

mike

Last edited:

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hi there,

Never heard of a 58 pat green water bottle. The bottles we were issued were black hard plastic with a matching mug that fitted over the top which Im sure everyone has seen. We did however get issued a green mug that was called a canteen mug ie one you took to the cookhouse for your mug of carnation milk tea. This was just a normally shaped mug.

atb
John

pwb

Not got any info to help you Mike but I'll be watching this thread with interest as I've got an 1962 green bottle.
The bottle has Cascelloid on the base and Cat No. 0035 on the front.
I have put a new cap on it but kept the original too :).

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I was issued one in 1976 but it had a black mug with it (it had been issued previously to someone in RRW and re-issued to me when I joined). I swapped it when the lid split (dropped from
4t truck onto concrete!) I have seen one in a militaria shop in the 80s with a green mug but it was quite tatty and I had too many by then.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hens teeth is phrase that springs to mind, saw one ebay recently, no mug mind, go for £18 i think, that was a 63 i think. wouldn't mind an example myself, i think they are more of a rare odity, the iraq army issued very similar if a little chubbier versions around 85 onwards until the first gulf war.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
all mine are manufactured by F&G.
Got one at a car boot sale, one on ebay and one from the bottom of an old crate in an army surplus warehouse

I would love to get my hands on a green 58 mug

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've got a green one as well, but no mug.

Has any one got one of the early twist closure 58 pat waterbottle pouches? All I've ever seen outside of books are the Indian copies.

ATB

Tom

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i just sold a twist pouch with an sas drop ammo pouch on ebay, it had been modified as was too short for the water bottle, prob used for extra grens or ammo. the only difference was the later version with the buckle has a clearly defined puri tabs pocket under the lid, the twist version its just a doubled section of material open on the front side to slide the tabs in.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I remember water bottles being OG. Never saw a an OG cup though. I think the waterbottle went to black as the universal colour for potable water changed to black (more noticeable with platic water jerrycans).
Universal colourcoding liquids Grey-Kero, Red-Gasoline
Hope this helps
Crowe

Jun 12, 2010
australia
i have a green 58 patt bottle dated 1964 as i collect British webbing and equipment used by my grandfather (59-65). they were issued first with the first series 58 patt but the odd one was still being issued here and there for many years later. MikeE is a prim example of this. i think 1965 is the latest date they were made green as i have a black 58patt bottle dated 67 and have seen a 1966 dated one on eBay. i think they changed the green plastic with black because my black 58patt bottles are thicker and stronger then my green one. to have just one in good condition (with the bit of plastic that helps keep the lid from being lost) is quite hard to find but 3 is near unheard of nowadays. they can go on eBay from $40aus (20 pounds) to $80aus (40 pounds) approximately depending on the condition and how much people are willing to pay at the time. hope this has been helpful.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have never seen a green mug only green bottles .
However I did once see a two thirds size water bottle ,mug and carrier to fit 58 pattern webbing that was in black.
Twodogs

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I just bought 2 green 58 bottles both good condition both fitted with newer genuine NBC lids with theses markings:

"cat. no.0035", "1962" one the base "Cascelloid" on both halves of the join.

on the other:

cat.no.973-6665", "1965", "F&G" on the base "F&G"
how much?

£2.50 each :)
(no there weren't any more).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE