British Army Boots, same problem with 3 pairs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you do shop around for a replacement pair of boots, don't be tempted to go with anything by Karrimor. I got a pair of steel toecap tan coloured work boots and a pair of leather upper trainers both made by Karrimor from Sports Direct. The work boot's sole broke apart in just a few weeks and this is from light work, I hadn't really got around to doing heavy work wearing them at the time. Turned out the soles are a thin film of rubber sprayed over a foam mould underneath. The sole appears to be really chunky but the actually tread is probably only 2mm thick at it's thickest, once that wears through they're shagged.

Karrimor may have had a good name once but I heard they got bought out and the new owner is destroying the reputation the name once had.

On the subject of army boots, I still say the best boots I have ever had are my German Army paraboots. Soft leather and super hard wearing sole. I got these in the early 80's so I can't vouch for the new versions of these boots.

Sad to read your own experience with boots has been so bad though. So much for built to last eh? :confused:

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I had the same happen on both black and tan desert boots, won't by buying any more.

I much prefer some of the US army boots - bought a pair of Matterhorn Fort Bragg's second hand about ten years ago, had them resoled about 4 years ago and they're still great boots. I also recently bought a second hand pair of Bellvilles from the forum, they feel great and have the option for resoling when the time comes.

Vote with your wallet.

ATB

Ogri the trog

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
I have 3 pairs of the gortex lined military boots which in my opinion are fantastic, never had any problems with any British Military Boot although the Northern Ireland Patrol Boot was a tad uncomfortable after being on your feet for 18 hours, I wore the German Para Boot in the jungle for a couple of month (Fantastic Boots) but quite heavy on you feet, the German Alpine boot is very similar to the para boot but much lighter on your feet. My favourite boot through out the summer was the military desert boot

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Will, the Army don't have the same boots for 5 years. The guys probably have 2 pairs they alternate between and they'll be lucky to get 2 years out of them. Remember they are expected to change them as soon as they start looking a little tatty. Usually about the same time the rest of us think they're just getting comfortable.
Lots of lads do have the same boots for 5 years because they buy their own boots and stash the issued boots after training. Then when they have to carry 2 pairs (e.g. going on an overseas ex) they dig out a pair of issue boots. Sometimes it's only when they put the boots on they realise the soles have degraded.

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
Lots of lads do have the same boots for 5 years because they buy their own boots and stash the issued boots after training. Then when they have to carry 2 pairs (e.g. going on an overseas ex) they dig out a pair of issue boots. Sometimes it's only when they put the boots on they realise the soles have degraded.
Some of the lads in 40 commando would disagree in buying boots when the current issue boot in as good as you can buy in civvy street.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
What are the current issue boots now then? Or are there a number of options like when they go on tour?
(I started training with the marines years ago - didn't make it :sigh: - but everyone hated the issue boots. Now I'm with the TA so a bit out of the loop as we're normally a year or 2 behind the regs with kit.)

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
This collapsing sole is happening a lot with civvie boots and shoes too. I have had two pairs of Clark's shoes and a pair of really comfortable Ecco boots collapse on me. I got the Ecco boots in Holland some years ago and they were the most comfortable light duty boots I've owned and I still miss them. Seems to be the same problem on all of them. They go sticky then fall to pieces.

Nowadays I avoid anything with that type of sole and my favourite boots now are a pair of William Lennon Ammo boots. Comfortable and I reckon they will see me outand probably my son too as he says he has his eye on them whenI die!

Gareth

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i've had 3 pairs of these, new, not army issued or second hand, all 3 have had the exact same issue.

after a year or 2 of wearing them, the whole of the bottom just falls off.

2 pairs have just partially come apart, leaving chunks of shoe where ever i walk, but 1 pair the whole of the bottom just fell off leaving a slick rubber surface.

went camping with them once, and someone else had a second hand pair from a army surplus shop, at the exact same time, both of our pairs just fell apart in the exact same way.

i try to keep them in the best possible condition, so the leather is is excellent condition, so i still have these pairs that have fallen apart in the loft.

anyone know why this happens? or if i can get a new rubber tread/sole applied to them?? or even some better quality army boots?

i have had the exact same thing with Brit Army Assault Boot, big chunks of the sole just fell away from the sole after a very short time with very light use, bought new but in less than six months the sole literally just crumbled away, absolute rubbish boots. it had nothing to do with how i treated them as they had very little and light use, one day as i was walking it felt odd underfoot and when i looked at sole large chunks were just hanging off, they were crumbling away as i was walking, i have previously mentioned this in another thread somewhere and someone mentioned a problem with a bad batch was the cause, however i would not waste my money on another pair now what good are boots with a crumbling sole, total rubbish. (PS -- the first pair of these boots i bought many many years ago when they just came out were great and lasted years, but the same boots bought more recent have been rubbish, therefore something has changed in their manufacturing process).

Last edited:

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow

The spirit of my post was that they aren't expected last five years hence the shelf life. By the way I've been that man you've mentioned, leaving a trail of rubber on the way to work. I hadn't worn issue boots for years and dug them out for an inspection. I failed.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
By the way I've been that man you've mentioned, leaving a trail of rubber on the way to work.
It's insane isn't it! I thought someone must have left mine in a puddle of oil, or on top of a really hot radiator or something! :eek:
I remember in training having to polish those soles! Even in the field we had to polish the soles of our boots for the first couple of months! Nothing to do with the sole problem. And it wouldn't do any good to polish rubber. Just good old fashioned BS. :banghead:

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
i've had 3 pairs of these, new, not army issued or second hand, all 3 have had the exact same issue.

after a year or 2 of wearing them, the whole of the bottom just falls off.

2 pairs have just partially come apart, leaving chunks of shoe where ever i walk, but 1 pair the whole of the bottom just fell off leaving a slick rubber surface.

went camping with them once, and someone else had a second hand pair from a army surplus shop, at the exact same time, both of our pairs just fell apart in the exact same way.

i try to keep them in the best possible condition, so the leather is is excellent condition, so i still have these pairs that have fallen apart in the loft.

anyone know why this happens? or if i can get a new rubber tread/sole applied to them?? or even some better quality army boots?

It happens because they are cheap crap! No they cannot be re soled, just binned.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
Try Lowa's or Altbergs great boots but expect to pay top dollar. Issue boots were not fit for purpose thats why everyone bought thier own and now are being issued Lowa's, Altbergs and Mendles

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
From talking to a store man the other week it seems the problem with the 'Boots, light assault' was that the soles and uppers were made in different places by different companies. I've seen boots where the sole was a larger size than the upper, they fall apart all the time and always at the most inconvenient moment.

There are a range of new issue boots including a couple of Magnums, the original plan was to allow people to pick from a range of options but it seems that now the decision is being made by COs and all troops will wear whatever he/she picks. I have a pair of the Haix goretex boots, they are ok, like moon boots and take some seriously broken in. They won't be taking over from my Altbergs any time soon (I've walked around 60 km in them in the last week and they are wonderful) but we shall see.

If you need some military type boots, Altbergs or Lowas are my boots of choice. If they cost too much try to find some DMS ones (they are still made as 'cadet boots' but I don't know whether they are decent quality) or some of the issue goretex boots/pro boots both of which are available.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE