Britain's Drowned World

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Been watching a Time Team special from a few years back about Doggerland... I've seen it before ages ago, but forgot just how good it was. The stuff the archaeologists know is amazing enough, but some of the bones and tools they've got from the North Sea is truly bizarre given the timescale they've been there.

0TNCB.jpg

Thing I kept thinking about is that 7000 to 8000 years ago, that isn't that far back in the scale of things... and with the recent discussions about rewilding and all it entails, doesn't the work being done around Doggerland (or what was Doggerland) sort of show that we can only turn back the clock so far? We can't drain the North Sea to reclaim the land, and its unlikely to return unless we have another ice age. What I mean is, wolves and bears, elephants and hyenas... they were probably well at home when we were a landmass attached firmly to mainland Europe... but with the separation... wasn't it inevitable that even those that survived the transition were going to be made extinct?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
They're finding them anyway according to the program. Mostly in Holland on the beaches, but the fishermen are constantly dredging up bones of mammoths, saber-tooth tigers and even humans.

The tools they showed were so detailed, considering we tend to view people back then as being a bit simple minded, they were obviously nothing of the sort. That spear they showed was incredibly detailed.

[video=youtube;4P9wQj6qX2I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9wQj6qX2I[/video]

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I am living in Cornwall, with its tales of drowned kingdoms and very real drowned forests...

...And its raised beaches. Sometimes there wasnt much of Britain at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE