Breeze blocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thought someone here might know......

How easily can breeze blocks be cut ?
I need nine of them cut to about 30cms long, and since they come 44cms long I need to take a fair bit off them.
Before I buy them, is it easy to cut ? with hand tools ? what hand tools ?

M

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
You need a stihl saw or 9inch grinder with a stone cutting disc. Or a tungston carbide tipped hand saw Mary. A metal disc wont cut block, but a stone disc will cut metal.

If they are the lightweight thermolite block? You can use an old wood saw :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, if its those light breeze blocks and not those concrete blocks i have just cut them with an old wood saw, worked okay but will ruin saw so use an old knackered one and it doesn't need to be particulary sharp.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Or a bolster Chisel and lump hammer. Takes experience to get a clean cut though. Sorry i cant do them forvyou

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D
I've got a couple of old cheap hardpoints, that were bought to cut a worktop, out in the shed. I don't mind using them up for this :cool:
Thank you gentlemen :D

cheers,
M

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
This got a little confusing chaps...
chiseller got it spot on,
only thermalite blocks can be cut with a standard hardpoint saw!!
breeze and concrete blocks cut with a lump hamer-score all the way round,or if you have a sthil saw or grinder.We have a diamond tipped blade but standard carbon blades will do the job.
We dont bother on site as our skin is like rhino skin but just be aware that breeze blocks can contain glass shards!!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As above really .
Breeze blocks are proper concrete and a hardpoint won't do.
You can take a bolster to them or even better a petrol stone saw.

Thermalites on the other hand (they look like they are made from grey aero bar material) can be cut with a knackered handsaw.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I have and can use a cold chisel and lump hammer :)

I'm only going to be using them with planks to create a shelf stack under the garden tap, but it's a narrow space on the path at the side of the shed door, so I need to cut them. At present I've got a muddle of broken bits of brick doing the job, but it annoys me because it's not very tidy and attracts all sorts of woodlice, etc., to the spaces between all the broken edges and bits of brick. Since it's under the kitchen window, I'd rather limit the amount of beasties a bit.
These are the blocks I was looking at buying instead to tidy it all up.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/bricks-blocks+lintels/aerated-blocks/icat/bbblock/

cheers,
M

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Well I have and can use a cold chisel and lump hammer :)

I'm only going to be using them with planks to create a shelf stack under the garden tap, but it's a narrow space on the path at the side of the shed door, so I need to cut them. At present I've got a muddle of broken bits of brick doing the job, but it annoys me because it's not very tidy and attracts all sorts of woodlice, etc., to the spaces between all the broken edges and bits of brick. Since it's under the kitchen window, I'd rather limit the amount of beasties a bit.
These are the blocks I was looking at buying instead to tidy it all up.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/bricks-blocks+lintels/aerated-blocks/icat/bbblock/

cheers,
M

None of those are what I would call Breeze Blocks, I would call a 9" wide concrete block with two large hollows in it a breeze block.
Like on this picture I found on the net...
mar3.jpg

On the other hand I assume you are talking about the cheapest ones on the Wickes site?
The aerated ones? They will cut with an old hardpoint saw or bolster and hammer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :D

I googled brieze block and wickes (it's the nearest diy store) and that page was what came up, but breeze instead, so I just took it that those were it :eek:
Just as well I'm not building anything really with them :eek:

So, the cheap ones will cut without power tools, and should do for the stack :D

The help's appreciated :D thank you.

cheers,
M

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
If your going to buy thermalite blocks mary,get a couple extra!they are great for carving.I have one that i carved a head in many years ago with just a pocket knife............if you like that sort of thing of course i'll get a picture of what i carved tomorrow:)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm only going to be using them with planks to create a shelf stack under the garden tap, but it's a narrow space on the path at the side of the shed door, so I need to cut them.

could you not use them by standing them on the short side instead of the long side to avoid cutting them?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've carved a few 'easter' Island heads from breeze blocks washed up on shore, and also from some sand stoney type rock [and also some others which were alot harder and had 'layers' to them so not so good for carving] - not that this comment is any use to you, just thought I'd write abit:)

I always thought you could cut breeze block with a saw - it turns out it has to be the right breeze block an a knackered saw.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The actual blocks you are looking for Mary are generically called aircrete blocks and are easy to cut. Market leaders are Thermalite but there half a dozen manufacturers blocks all made from aircrete (No aggregates just aerated Aluminium sulphide bubbles in a silica based slip) They are available in sizes ranging from 75mm wide to 260mm trench blocks. Durox, forticrete and Celcon are the other most common ones.
Breeze blocks are made from clinker and you will need an angle grinder to cut them, they are much harder and have a compressive strength of more than twice that of aircrete.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the replies :D much appreciated :cool:

One last question.....the blocks are the aircrete type that bushwacker bob mentioned......how frost proof are they likely to be ? My garden is sodden wet and though these are going to be standing on top of big slabs, they will get damp, and when we get cold, we get *cold*.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE