Breakfast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
First morning out its generally smoked back bacon, toast, my home preserved butter (which is working out really well now), and a couple of fresh eggs.

Long term base camping it will become tinned breakfast grill, scramble from dehydrated eggs, oatcakes.

Bushcrafting I do like to bake some bannock and have with aforementioned eggs (I confess I take some fresh ones well srapped if I can).

Always with pot of fresh roasted and ground coffee.

Red

you mean proper oatcakes (Staffordshire ones)?

sorry I work in an oatcake shop and most people haven't a clue what they are.

Ben

as for me and my breakfast if its that situation I'll gave coffee, bacon and bread/bannock. but usually if I'm ouside I'm on a campsite between random hikes or doing my bela so it's reiter choc musli for me then :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
you mean proper oatcakes (Staffordshire ones)?

sorry I work in an oatcake shop and most people haven't a clue what they are.

Ben

Oooh them's fightin' words :rolleyes: :D

Oatcakes are wee hard crispy nutty tasting things that are brilliant with butter, cheese, honey or marmite ;)

Are your Staffordshire ones like the Derbyshire kind of oaty nan bread things?

Actually, fresh oatcakes cooked over and dried off around a campfire, are awfully hard to beat for breakfast :D

cheers,
Toddy

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
My favourite backpacking breakfast (after many years of development ;)) is Oaticustard.

Take one sachet of Apple and Raspberry Oatibix porridge (or similar, look for the just add water type) and one pack of instant custard (just add water type). Add water stir and bring to the boil.

Looks a bit grim but, is very light, easily feeds two and makes a fantastic morning warm up packed with loads of energy for the day ahead.

Lakes&

Don't knock it till you've tried it for real :D

Scoops

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Helmanns are supposedly stopping the use of battery eggs this year across their whole range. It really is frightening what is put in our food without us really knowing. And annoying! Well, I will use up the last of my powdered egg and then try and think of a seperate way of carrying eggs without them going green or exploding in my kit. Apparently they can be frozen.

How about that 'No-Egg' stuff? It's an egg substitute for vegans.
My stepmum used to get it for cooking (my Dad's vegan) until my Dad finally convinced her you can do just as well without egg or egg substitute.

I've never tried it myself but it might be worth having a look at?
At the least, it'll be a lot less questionable than dehydrating free range eggs :lmao:

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
Oooh them's fightin' words :rolleyes: :D

Oatcakes are wee hard crispy nutty tasting things that are brilliant with butter, cheese, honey or marmite ;)

Are your Staffordshire ones like the Derbyshire kind of oaty nan bread things?

Actually, fresh oatcakes cooked over and dried off around a campfire, are awfully hard to beat for breakfast :D

cheers,
Toddy

180px-Oatcakes.jpg

pg-3oatc2.jpg

these are what I meant they're soft pretty thin and plate sized. most people have cheese (melted) and bacon/sausage/mushroom/general breakfasty stuff on them

Ben

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Oatcakes are hard dry oat biscuit popular North of the Border, a good addition to your trail-food pack as they last for ages. However in defference to Bodges fantastic Staffordshire oatcakes at Middlewood, we'll let you keep using the name for your savoury crepes

.... already running for the hills :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
180px-Oatcakes.jpg

pg-3oatc2.jpg

these are what I meant they're soft pretty thin and plate sized. most people have cheese (melted) and bacon/sausage/mushroom/general breakfasty stuff on them

Ben

Good heavens! they're not oatcakes, they're burned pancakes, yuk! Only to be tolerated on Shove Tuesday. (Shove being the operative word, as in 'you know where you can shove 'em).

Eric

Eee - what a question! It varies, but I'll stick to Toddy's original scenario - a dry winters morning?

On me todd with a busy day - Porridge - Oatsosimple or the real McCoy - it must be gum strippingly hot though. In a group - you can't beat a communal Full Monty (no beans for me please - I loathe Haricots except in a Cassoulet).

Drink, first thing has to be tea - I love real coffee a la Red - but it's a mid morning luxury (or early evening with a shot in it), served with single cream and lots of brown sugar in a giant kuska whilst watching bushcraft TV (the fire - or the beauty of your latest hand crafted aquisition!) - happy days!

BIG_emu

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
Cheshire
Oatcakes are hard dry oat biscuit popular North of the Border, a good addition to your trail-food pack as they last for ages. However in defference to Bodges fantastic Staffordshire oatcakes at Middlewood, we'll let you keep using the name for your savoury crepes

.... already running for the hills :lmao:

and you with your biscuity type things.:p

I suppose it's what you grow up with.

Ben

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
180px-Oatcakes.jpg

pg-3oatc2.jpg

Ben

Oh, haven't seen these ones :) They look tasty. Are they savoury or just left plain?

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
and you with your biscuity type things.:p

I suppose it's what you grow up with.

Ben

Hehehe - I saw the ones you're talking about in a Rick Stein food show ages ago - so grabbed the opportunity to try them at the Middlewood meet - well tasty :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Breakfast for me and Luke at camp is something like instant oats and a fried spam or sausage sarnie. If there are a few of us we go for bacon, sausage, Duck eggs, beans, mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread, just something light to start the day:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ooooh ducky eggs - yum.

Actually I did mean Toddy's version of oatcakes. I likes em fine with some cheese and a little caramelised onion chutney. I like the look of the pancakey ones too mind you!

Red

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Easy one. Tea and oatmeal...been doing it for years. While my camping friends are hardening their arteries with an irish/ploughmans/american breakfast, I'm already off with my fishing gear at the lake catching trout for dinner. ;)
Cheers
Alex

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, if we're taking orders - a large mug of tea and a smoke, followed by Eggs Benedict (on crumpets, not muffins, with smoked Ayrshire back bacon, and heavy on the hollandaise), a nice glass of dry white - a Sancerre, perhaps - and probably an espresso to round it all out. Maybe some pan au chocolat on the side. :D

Somehow I can never quite manage to get the hollandaise together when camping though... ;)

Back in the real world, it's usually going to be tea and porridge.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A few bits of bacon cooked how you like, into a couple of rolls with a big mug of tea, and depending if I'm going through one of my 'I've stopped smoking' fads... a roll up. Eggs would be a nice addition if poss, or beans- but for my money a roll n bacon everytime.. damn it I'm hungry now!

Nagual

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE