Breakfast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had a bit of bannock the other night at home, made to the recipe under the Articles page. I had some smokey bacon in the fridge too, tesco rubbish but it tasted OK. I made some coffee and really enjoyed a simple meal. I reckon it will become a staple on my trips out due to the simplicity of making it. The bannock soaks up the bacon fat nicely! Mmmmmmmm!

My thoughts on square sausage: Genius! It's the perfect shape to slap between two bits of buttered bread with some brown sauce and maybe a fried egg. Perfect!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Square sausage, potato scone and a fried egg served with a dod of brown sauce in a crispy morning roll - another fine Scots invention :D

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I had a bit of bannock the other night at home, made to the recipe under the Articles page. I had some smokey bacon in the fridge too, tesco rubbish but it tasted OK. I made some coffee and really enjoyed a simple meal. I reckon it will become a staple on my trips out due to the simplicity of making it. The bannock soaks up the bacon fat nicely! Mmmmmmmm!

My thoughts on square sausage: Genius! It's the perfect shape to slap between two bits of buttered bread with some brown sauce and maybe a fried egg. Perfect!

I'm curious how you cooked the bannock at home? Just on the hob, in a pan?

p.s. Square sausages, from experience are horrible things - low meat content, high fat content, full of rusk and other fillers... Much better off with proper sausages full of lovely meat :) (I buy mine from a farm shop in Alvingham, Lincolnshire when I visit my folks :D)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm curious how you cooked the bannock at home? Just on the hob, in a pan?

Exactly that, cook it on a low heat in the pan, and turn it over now and then until it is cooked through. I made one just after that post with bacon and egg. I was gonna take a picture for you all, but I couldn't find a camera quicker than the smell of bacon tempting me, so you all dipped out! Yum! Yum!

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
No but I'm going to try it now, thanks for the idea.
If you do, don't let it get past 'slushy', if you start getting long ice crystals forming it gone just a little too far, let it warm up a bit or it might freeze in the bottle (or around the sides anyway)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
actually i find that frozem milk stays solid in the middle and thaws from the outside. Tastes fine though the water stays frozen long after the milk thaws and it seems to make the milk tase better. You can freeze it in the plastic bottles with no worries - the bottle doenst split or anything.

cheers
Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE