Brass Hammers??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
OK, so not shoeing them. IIRC, which I may well not, because it was a long while ago, BigPit at Blaenafon had workshops underground? Must have had brass tools, steel would be way to dangerous.
Not something I have ever thought of before.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I nipped out and grabbed them and popped the claw hammer head on the scales (477g) and in a kitchen measuring jug (displaced about 55ml).

I can't see any makers marks anywhere but they all seem to have an extra random hole near the top of the eye.

I've taken a few more pics and I'll email them to BR.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Done a bit of googling, and it seems they are not that uncommon, or a least weren't at one time.
From the good old Wiki, on Hammers......

"As the impact between steel hammer heads and the objects being hit can, and does, create sparks, which in some industries such as underground coal mining with methane gas, or in other hazardous environments containing flammable gases and vapours, can be dangerous and risk igniting the gases. In these environments, a variety of non-sparking metal tools are used, being principally, aluminium or beryllium copper-headed hammers.[3]"

Think someone mentioned they could be beryllium copper already.

Wonder what that little hole is for? Must be there for a reason.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I nipped out and grabbed them and popped the claw hammer head on the scales (477g) and in a kitchen measuring jug (displaced about 55ml).

I figure that as a density of 8673 Kg/m3

Beryllium Copper is 8100 - 8250
Brass is 8400-8700 (proportion depending)
Phosphor Bronze is 8780-8920
Copper is 8940

Bronze has a huge range from 7400-8900

Looks like Brass or Bronze by my maths.....

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looking at these with great interest. Excellent thread.

One thing I wondered about, in relation to the axe-type heads. How well does brass/bronze/beryllium copper or whatever take (and hold) an edge?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I don't think mines would have used brass tools for spark prevention, picks, rails carridges, all steel, and men where cheap remember. Before stainless brass was the next best thing to rust prevention. Given that you've a bladed thing for cutting soft material, probably wet environment tools, rather than anti magnetic(stainless also non magnetic). ANTIQUES!!. probably farriers. or John Waynes from the film Hellfighters, which he explains the advantages of brass tools to the lil' lady.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
The axey type bit is in no way sharp.

I can't even see how the one with the blade and teh side claw could be used other than on the edge of sonething as teh top of the blade would get in the way?

Anyway i'm off to see the folks on monday so I'll ask if dad knows if the guy was in the services etc.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
We used to use the hatchety thing for breaking open the wooden cases and frames the mines were supported by, it was a no,no to touch the casing with any ferrous item.

I must say that their appearance is of soft brass and Reds calculations appear to agree. Could it be possible that all the items in the original picture are just purely decorative items for harness dressing like horse brasses? The holes (do they go right through?) might be for attachment so they dangle prettily.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Holes don't go through. They ring when tapped, not the same as the brass bars that I also got in the haul but i don't know my metals.

The shape makes more sense with that in mind though.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The horse/farrier thing is a red herring - I've never seen or heard of these things in a lifetime of working with harness horses........What about aircraft? I can see reasons to have anti magnetic stuff there, and as most aircraft are made with soft Ali and suchlike materials, brass tools would be fine..............

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The horse/farrier thing is a red herring - I've never seen or heard of these things in a lifetime of working with harness horses........What about aircraft? I can see reasons to have anti magnetic stuff there, and as most aircraft are made with soft Ali and suchlike materials, brass tools would be fine..............

still think they are antique tools of non corrosive qualities before the advent of stainless.

Ps. The aircraft jibe, hilarious, hammes and axes used on concorde, I can see it now, "just gonna adjust the left side aleron gov" "ok, here's your hammer"

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I've asked my dada and the bloke wasn't in the forces. He had something wrong with his chest apparently but may have done some driving for them. So no clues there.

So they are probably just old brass tools :)

BR, PM or email me your address and I'll see what I can do about getting whichever one you wanted to you.

Cheers

Grebby

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A rather lovely hammer head arrived in the post today :)

A new handle will be added and it will be used in "old school" reloading of shotgun cartridges - and might even be loaned to my neighbour for re-priming his black powder cartridges when we get together (we have both mentioned we should have one)

Grebby - you are a gentleman sir - Thank you very much:thankyou::notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE