Brass Hammers??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I popped over to see my folks a while ago and my dad asked to to take various bits of tools etc from the garage as he was having a clear up.

Amongs various bits of stuff i found a box of brass bits I had liberated from the farm cottage once the previous occupants had left. I know that the bloke used to do horse brass stuff (amongs other things) and there are various bits of this in the box but the bits that have got me thinking are the brass hammer/heads?

I do have photos but I can't upload them to my webspace at the moment and can't seem to attache them here. I have 4 different ones.
One is a standard claw hammer head shape.
One is a cross peen type but with a claw on the side.
The other two are a hammer head one side and a sort of flat blunt axe shape on the other end, one with a claw on the side, one without.

Any ideas what they are/would have been for?

Cheers

Grebby

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Brass Hammers and tools were/are used in Intrinsicly Safe Areas.. such as Gas works/Oil Refinarys, Explosive Factorys...ect... as they dont cause sparks.....

of cuase they can be used any where... :)

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Thanks Stu,

Its the claw bits that get me, surely brass isn't the best metal for this?

I've just realised I've put this in the wrong place:eek: could a mod move it to other chatter or kit chatter (whichever is deemed best) please.

Cheers

Grebby

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They have a number of uses - old reloaders used to use them to seat primers and bullet heads (no spark risk around black powder). I have to use a nasty nylon one because I have never found a brass one :(

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you some photos. If one is of use then I'll try and work out how to get it to you.

Cheers

Grebby

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here we go = picture as promised

Brass Hammers by British Red, on Flickr

I have never seen such items in brass I confess - a claw hammer, roofers hatchet (?) and a weird hybrid - can anyone shed any light (other than clearly tools for use in non sparking situations)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Could they have been in use for general use in a military magazine? The armourers couldn't even have iron nails in their boots but work would be needed to be done?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Many of these tools are often Phosphor Bronze, much tougher.

A whole suite of such tools was supplied for ship mine clearance as they are non-magnetic. I was issued with such a kit (including a claw hammer and hatchet as above as well as spanners and special tools) on what was called 'personal issue', if I lost it, I had to pay for the replacement, hundreds of pounds for a hammer. The same was true for my issue watch.

Here is a modern kit:
Non-magnetic tools

I have a soft copper headed hammer that my grandfather made for drifting sights and other things that you do not want marred by hammer blows.

Last edited:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Thanks BR :You_Rock_, do any of them look like they may be of use to you?

I've just raided one of my daughters fridge magnets :eek: and unsurprisingly it doesn't stick.

They could be Phosphor Bronze:confused: I just saw the goldish colour and assumed brass due to the horse brass stuff. How would I tell?

I'll have to ask my dad if he knows whether the bloke was in army/navy? It wouldn't supprise me.

Cheers

Grebby

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A basic one would be great Grebby :)- but figure out what they are and what they are worth first - sounds like they are worth good money if bronze!

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Phosphor Bronze and beryllium Copper are hard, the machetes will probably ring if hit. Mind you good old naval brass will also ring if it is good quality but I doubt if you would make a hammer out of that. Bronze is a little softer and thunks.

Nonmagnetic tools cost an arm and a leg, my guess would be circa £100 for a claw hammer. Have a Google for EOD tools.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I'll see what I can find out but I'll set it aside for you and try to sort out some way of getting it to you. Can you PM me your address.
They were wombled 25ish years ago so owe me nothing. They just weigh a bit to much to drop in a postbox.

Cheers

Grebby

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A word of caution, a lot of the tools used in gas places etc. were made of a Beryllium Copper alloy, which the dust of is highly toxic.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds like the good stuff :)

Easy enough to work out the density of the hammer head and figure out if its brass or phosphor bronze if someone knows the density of the alloys?

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I'll dig out the scales and a measuring jug tomorrow and see if I can get volume and weight.

I'll also have a closer look to see if there are any marks etc.

If I do find any marks I'll get some photos.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Seems to be quite a bit of horsey stuff around them, and I fancy the claw on the side of the one hammer could be for removing a horse shoe.
I wonder were they used in coal mines, for shoeing the pit ponies, among other things, like general repairs?
Could be talking a load of cobblers. (Pretty sharp tonight;) )

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
None of those tools would be suitable for shoeing ponies, pincers of various types would be used for removal; the mining connection is a possibility though......................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE