Brass Backed Bowie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hello All,

Was just wondering if any-one out there knew of a source for Brass Backed Bowie's?

The history buff ( and I don't know it may not be accurate ) in me would love to see / own one. Accounts tell that some fighting Bowie's had a groove running the length of the spine that a brass "T" section was set into. This soft section was used to "catch" an opponents blade, so that you could then disarm them. Of course there are accounts that the original Bowie was made from a piece of meteor that fell to earth so I may be barking up the wrong tree here. Should I maybe take this question to British Blades?

Any info / comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Goatboy.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've seen the brass backed bowies in historial photos and I think I saw one that the Middleton brothers had made about 15 years ago, but otherwise I have never come across one in the flesh.

I suspect the blade catching thing was a marketing ploy for nostalgic collectors, but there are lots of swords with blade catching teeth as well :rolleyes:

I reckon your best bet on finding one would be to have one made for you ;)

the consensus is that the brass backing was, as dave budd said, a marketing ploy.

the bowies i've handled (that had the backing) had thin brass folded over the blade back and soldered or brazed.

a couple of writers have attributed the brass back to sheffield cutlers promoting sales of their products.

the pinciple is sound (i think it's called the blish principle) but i believe a big crossguard would serve you better.

but you can't deny that it looks cool!

i googled brass backed bowies and only came up with custom makers.

civil war re-enactors and cowboy action shooters are a prime market for these knives and their history.

the examples i've handled were case bowies that were commemoratives or antiques in the southern usa. these are LARGE knives. the case was supposed to be a copy of a collins short machete.

there are several inexpensive bowie style blades out there. it would be fairly easy to fold a strip of sheet brass over their spine then braze or epoxy ithe brass in place.

if you can pick up copies of gun digest or knives annuals it would give you some history. these digests have extensive historical references every couple of years (related to bowies).

hope that helps.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
On a historical note, the bayonet for the .30 cal. Krag rifle that was issued to American troops prior to the 30-06 Springfield, was sometimes issued with a "Bolo" bayonet that was nothing in the world but a huge bowie knife.

Everything I have been able to find indicates that the brass strip was purely decorative.

The people to Google, if you wish to find out more historical facts are: J.R. Edmondson and Joe Musso. They are historians and collectors who know more about Bowie knives than anyone else.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Gentlemen,

I must admit I had a small gnawing thought that it may be made up, though in principle it would slow / catch an opponents blade, and I think I wanted to believe it. Have had a few Bowie's over the years though the one I've kept is I believe a late 1800's Sheffield made one... will try to post some pics when I figure that out. As a fighting blade I feel for it's size it is too heavy as the recovery on ones stroke would be too slow when up against some-one with a blade of similar length, would be like trying to take on someone very close quarters with a broadsword when they have a gladius.

It is of a relatively soft carbon steel, brass guard and looks like a rosewood handle. Blade is around eleven inches long, around sixteen and a quarter inches over all. mixing my units here but it is about five mm thick at the spine and has a choil of around two inches. The end of the choil is where the balance point is. Good chopper though somewhat axe like in its action.

Cheers for the responses, has been interesting to hear your opinions on the brass back.

Goatboy.

goatboy-

most of the sheffield bowies i've seen or handled were relative to their length, thin bladed.

if the balance is near the crossguard but not too far forward on the blade you should be able to recover from a slash fairly easily. a knife with its balance there would feel almost alive if used like a sword.

some of the pictures of old duels show the antagonists almost engaged in fencing. supposedly there were schools in new orleans that taught a fencing style of combat.

with a blade in the 12 to 14 inch range you almost have a sword anyway.

on most bowie style blades, using the tip on a back slash is its secret weapon. even unsharpened the tip can do a significant amount of damage.

the blades imported from england seemed to be long and thin.

american blades were all over the map, but seemed more like large butcher knives.

whatever they really looked like, they were amongst the first targets for arms control here in the states.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Goatboy: If you will check out this link; www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/804938/ you will find a picture of the a replica of a brass backed knife owned by Joe Musso. The collector and historian I mentioned in my above post. It was made from line drawings produced by the original maker in Arkansas in the 1830's. On the original, the quillion bears the initial JB. This may stand for James Black of Washington, Arkansas who most likely made the original Bowie knife or it may in fact stand for James Bowie and have been his actual knife. It is open to speculation, but either way it is most certainly either the actual original Bowie knife or one presumably just like it, made about the same time. So, I think it gives you a very good idea what a "true" Bowie knife should look like. Coincidentally, it has a 14 inch blade.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Many thanks to Greyone, 320 and Chinkapin for their replies.

Good comments and resources to look at, will continue my search. The blade i have is too heavy for "fighting" will weigh it and post some pics. Have some experiance of sword and knife fighting... All legal and fun though. And this babe is a chopper, recovery would be too slow. You'd end up with one in the neck if you tried against someone skilled. Will have to watch the pennies and see what I can afford now. Thanks for the info though. Will post pics when I figure how.

GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE