Braemer vs. Antarctic Smock vs. sass Smock vs. Snowsled Classic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I have been after a Ventile smock for a while but haven't gotten around to buying one. Now, with the different climate in my new location (sometimes minus 20 in winter and continental weather means less rain) I feel Ventile to be an even less risky purchase as a main outer shell (don't have the money for everything at once...)

Some questions for those with experience with one or more of these:

http://www.hillgear.com/acatalog/info_31.html
http://www.west-winds.co.uk/antarcticsmock.htm
http://www.snowsled.com/clothing/clothing_classicsmock.htm#
http://www.sasskit.co.uk/ (then navigate to sas smock. can't give direct link as website is weird)

- Does the higher cost of the Snowsled smock imply better craftsmanship? (incidentally the logos of Hilltrek and Snowsled look remarkably similar..has one ripped off the other?)

- Has anyone bought modified versions of any of these? I would prefer to avoid velcro on the half zip storm flap, not because I hunt but because I hate the noise and so does everyone else around you (including the wildlife). What can you recommend as an alternative fastening? I would have a waterproof zip were it the same colour as the smock...maybe I could get black but it's not so practical.

- Do you know which of these have/do not have double ventile shoulders(and/or hood)? I would like them because I'll be using rucksacks with it.

- I will get a single layer ventile smock because more ventile means more to get wet and add unnecesary weight. I feel that if when it's wet and transfers moisture inwards it's not really doing its job, so I'd wear wool beneath and hope...My question is would the lighter L34 varient be too flimsy for general outdoor use?

- In your experience have you found you've used all four pockets on the Antarctic Smock?

- Have you ordered or made yourself a ventile smock/jacket with either a merino or Nikwax Analogy fleece lining? I wonder how well they work in conjunction with ventile in wet weather.

- Is the hood on the Antarctic Smock too restrictive of vision in normal temperate weather?

Apologies for the hodgepodge of questions. If you can answer any one of them then I would be grateful.
Thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Sasskit is single with an internal double layer of the shoulder.

I use all 7 pockets on my Sasskit - bottom pouches for gloves, hat etc. Compass and torch in arm pocket. FAK and deet plus FFD in chest pockets. Documents in sipped inner pocket and a water proof sit mat in the poachers pocket.

Can't comment on the others I'm afraid

Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The Sasskit is single with an internal double layer of the shoulder.

I use all 7 pockets on my Sasskit - bottom pouches for gloves, hat etc. Compass and torch in arm pocket. FAK and deet plus FFD in chest pockets. Documents in sipped inner pocket and a water proof sit mat in the poachers pocket.

Can't comment on the others I'm afraid

Red

Now there's a good idea.........yoink! :notworthy

Double layered hood on the sasskit smock too.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If moneys an issue and theres less rainfall, how about a swedish snow smock.
There around £10-20, add 2 leg pockets off some old combats for chest pockets. Dye your choise of colour and proof. Very comfey. I added some material to the sleeves as a bit short on mine, or years of climbing have stretched my arms!
Theres no velcro, all buttons.

I have the BCUK ventile as well which is great, and I recomend the double layer on the shoulders, upper back, as the single layer wind shirt from west winds, also owned is useless in the wet without loads of proofing.

SASS smock is great. Double layer on the shoulders and in the hood. I wore it in prolonged rain in early october (about 4 or 5 hours worth of continual rain) and all I had on below it was a swandri ranger shirt and I didn't get wet at all. The smock did exactly what it was supposed to do. It eventually wetted out, stiffened and then continued to shed water. Once I got round the fire, it was completely dry again an about 30 minutes.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
If moneys an issue and theres less rainfall, how about a swedish snow smock.
There around £10-20, add 2 leg pockets off some old combats for chest pockets. Dye your choise of colour and proof. Very comfey. I added some material to the sleeves as a bit short on mine, or years of climbing have stretched my arms!
Theres no velcro, all buttons.

I have the BCUK ventile as well which is great, and I recomend the double layer on the shoulders, upper back, as the single layer wind shirt from west winds, also owned is useless in the wet without loads of proofing.

addo
problem is you cant find these any more exept in extra large and even their becoming rare now:( iv been looking for a small for ages
nice sewing btw!

pete

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought a SASS Smock with the last bits of Ventile that he had and it's fantastic. I've worn it in Dartmoors horizontal rain and it held up well althought the storm flap over the zip did allow a little water ingress, but and it's an important but, I had 30kts of wind extremely heavy rain and only a little water got in. I've had it soaked to stiffness and left it on top of my Bergen in my tent porch and it had dried overnight. The one I had made has pouches in the elbow for crawling pads to be inserted if you hunt or nature photographer. Paul at SASS is incredibly helpful in sizing and delivery is quick.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Paul at SASS is incredibly helpful in sizing and delivery is quick.

could not agree more, whenever i am buying or looking to buy something bushcrafty i nearly always phone if i can, gnerally end up having a good chinwag.

back to subject.

Does anybody have the new sass smock, i have been told that the oxford weaved cloth is as close to ventille as you can get, but not heard reports from anybody who has one.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Recently received my double ventile from Hilltrek.

It's olive with tan inner.

I had map and hand pocket,2 chest compass pkt,1 compass pkt on upper right arm,2 on upper and lower left arm with flaps over zips made to order.

I had studs replacing velcro closures on wrists and chest.

Had it out yesterday in sunny and cold weather,great breathability.

Sat on a frosted seat for a while and outer was wet but no dampness on inner at all.
Dried surprisingly quickly too.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Thanks for the replies.

Barn Owl, are you very glad you got double layer? This is a question I'm contemplating at the moment, as I am unsure that I want 2 layers of wet ventile to lug around, but people seem to be endorsing it despite this, so I don't know.

Is your jacket like the one Northwoods showed us?
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27264&highlight=ventile

could you PM me to say how much it cost? (not sure if it's appropriate in thread)
Thanks

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yep, I'm glad it's double and it's the same as Northwoods.

It's double that's used by RAF pilots in case of ditching in sea.

This one doesn't feel as hot as my other ventile that has a waterproof breathable liner.

Hilltrek can do a single layer with a paramo type liner I believe.

I paid £210 in total,basically a tenner for each addition.

I've had double ventile jackets before and was always drier after a downpour than in any goretex (up and down hills).

Just my opinion but I love ventile (have trousers too).

Price for Hilltrek single ventile is c. £130.

No affiliations just a happy customer etc.

Tom.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
As far as I can tell the material they use is identical to Ventile. Ventile is merely a trade name anyway. It certainly feels the same and beads water the same as ventile.

The material description for both is the same, extra long cotton fibres etc.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Yep, I'm glad it's double and it's the same as Northwoods.

It's double that's used by RAF pilots in case of ditching in sea.

This one doesn't feel as hot as my other ventile that has a waterproof breathable liner.

Hilltrek can do a single layer with a paramo type liner I believe.

I paid £210 in total,basically a tenner for each addition.

I've had double ventile jackets before and was always drier after a downpour than in any goretex (up and down hills).

Just my opinion but I love ventile (have trousers too).

Price for Hilltrek single ventile is c. £130.

No affiliations just a happy customer etc.

Tom.

could well be giving them a call

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE