Braces!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Anyone else use braces?
This time of year they are great with an oversized pair of lightweights (no cold back when bending ), they keep the crotch of your trousers where they should be and spread the weight of all the rubbish I keep in my pockets, the best thing since sliced bread but no-one seems to use them.
Neil

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep I use em too - although I recently tried clip on ones while out hiking - big mistake as the metal crocodile clips of the braces sat int he same spot as my pack frame! Ended up making a paracord belt to hold up my trousers and binning the braces! Button in army ones, come back all is forgiven!

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Gary said:
Yep I use em too - although I recently tried clip on ones while out hiking - big mistake as the metal crocodile clips of the braces sat int he same spot as my pack frame! Ended up making a paracord belt to hold up my trousers and binning the braces! Button in army ones, come back all is forgiven!
"Compo" springs to mind here :rolmao: :nana:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I echo that Compo, I mean Worzel, no it was Gary ( :?: ) I think, the clip version are'nt a patch on the button compatible army jobs, I just stitched half a dozen buttons onto my lightweights, they're great.
Neil

P

PeterC

The problem with Braces is there's always some ****** fool who thinks it's funny to pull and let go, I'm sure they think they're the first person to think of doing that.

Other than that using Braces lets you yoyu use your belt for what it's really meant for, hanging things on,

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have only worn braces with alpine climbing salopettes. The rest of the time I doubt I will, unless my belly forces my trousers down regardless of the belt :eek:):

Ans as for twanging them, i have been known to from time to time and i never thought I was the first :wink:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:

Do you mean braces like this, gary?

904.jpg

I know that old swedish army pants still has buttons for braces like these. Nowadays these is what is mostly used, but those require a little bit sewing if not using a belt. But they are really good since there are no clips or similar.

hangslen.jpg

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
In cold weather braces are great - if you are working hard and building up a sweat you can ventilate by undoing top of your trews without them falling down - that way you dont get cold wet condensation when you slow the work rate down. (dont know about you but my legs sweat too! especially in chainsaw pants - thats where I've got my braces) apparently the fact that you can wear loose waisted trousers and allow air to circulate helps cut down condensation in arctic conditions too and helps you stay dryer and so warmer.

George

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
There was an interesting product on the market a couple of years ago from a Canadian supplier, called "The Best Darned Suspenders" if I remember rightly. They were non-elastic brace, made from nylon webbing, with quick release Fastex-type buckles and attachment points for camera straps and other gear. Instead of buttons or the usual clips they had mini-carabiners to snap onto your belt loops. Unfortunately the old link I had seems to be dead. I'll hunt around and see if they're still in business.

And yes, I wear braces. A rather natty pair of silk ones in Barbour tartan.

P

PeterC

When I hear "the worlds best suspenders" I think of something compleatly different.

Braces like that I would be interested in though I do have resevations about the lack of stretch. On our local shoot one of the guns was sporting some braces designed to hold your belt up, they had little plastic hooks to go under the belt, am I missing something here?

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I have been using the clip type for awhile,but found the leather tab type for the buttons of my wool pants. The clips work good for me but I am going to pick the others up soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE