Boy's Night Out in John Fenna's Woods

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Had a boy's night out in John Fenna's woods lastnight.
A few bits & pieces were practiced..Mark Oriel had a go at making some pellets for his catapults, John made a basket (...I had a go!!Less said the better!!lol).
And I got my new toys out and gave them a go after dark...NVGs & a FLIR Thermal Imager! I had (Yet Again!!) a great night and it was good to catch up with the lads after quite a long time!
Cheers Lads!
Slide1-1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6-1.jpg

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Anyone try covering themselves in mud Arnie style to fool the thermal imager? No?.... well looks like much fun was had anyway. And the bonus is no one went mental with a chain gun

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A few more photos
The willow is from trees I planted in my garden - wrapped in a wet towel to keep it supple
DSCF4817.jpg

My basket
DSCF4819.jpg

Shooting the pellets we cast
DSCF4830.jpg

DSCF4828.jpg

Omega!
I am Legend

in my own lunchtime?

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
great pics looked like an excellent day out...thanx for sharing...atb Shogun

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - they are not exactly MY woods ...they are owned by two rather elderly brothers in our village, who bought the woods to ensure that developers could not destroy them with bungalows.
The brothers go into the woods less than I do and only realy have them to maintain their peace and quite.
I am the only person they allow to use the woods and are happy for me to have my mates over every now and again and for me to host canoe courses with the woods as "accomodation".
There is limitted parking and the woods are quite small - more a shelter belt than a wood realy - but once you get in you could be anywhere!
I have built a permanent fire spot, a table and a chair in the "communal area" right by my bivvi spot and there is room for about 6 people to stay over. Unfortunately there is no water or sanitary provision so all water is carried in and there are lots of trees to "go" behind :)
There is lots of wildlife around from Red Kites to Wrens, foxes to mice so there is always something to look at or listen to :)

I keep the brothers sweet with a bottle or two of home made wine per year :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like a good weekend.

Were the pellets lead or tin?
Roof flashing lead
Not realy a polution hazard though as the woods were once a tip and although we have removed vast numbers of bottles there are still bicycle frames, water tanks, builders rubble to move....
The cast pellets are too big (for any we do not retrieve) for wildlife to injest :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE