Bowdrill Troubleshooting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That is a kind offer Luke.
Are you doing a bow drill tutorial along with Spandit at the Sussex meet up as well then. :)

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Hugo, I don't know if I will be at the next meet yet. If I can make it I will bring my hand and bow drill gear with me. If you are going to use limpet shells you will need two, as well as the issue with heat the inner shell will get a hole in the top of it after prolonged use so collect some spares. I use a pebble with a slight depression in it, very useful if like me you do lots of demo's, saves on cutting bearing blocks all the time.

The handout I have written normally gets given out after a "make, use, and keep" bow drill lesson. It covers most things but some aspects would have been covered in the two hour practical session.

Luke
Greencraft

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I will probably have a dozen or more pre prepared sets in the car ready to go for people who want to have a crack at it at the next meet.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I've had reasonable results from mounting the limpet shell in a bearing block, they seem to last longer and you don't need to keep adding a green leaf for lube. It is a faff about though....Looking forward to your lesson though Spandit.......

velvetmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
Co Down
Hi all,

Just thought I would update............

After a six week hiatus (sprained wrist), I have finally finally finally!! been able to create fire by friction!!!!!
I am using the same hearth/spindle and my technique is far from graceful.

I'm still struggling with the cord riding up the spindle when I'm drilling.
Don't know if that's poor technique or lack of practice.

Either way, I'm having reasonable success in being able to create an ember each time.

Thanks to all for your advice and help

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi all,

After a six week hiatus (sprained wrist), I have finally finally finally!! been able to create fire by friction!!!!!

Either way, I'm having reasonable success in being able to create an ember each time.

woop woop, well done dude...:) keep it up and your way of doing things will become clear to you, and you will know what is going wrong and when....;)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hi all,

Nice one!

I remember how I felt when I got my first ember; I just sat there in the garage watching it glow with a big grin on my face.

Just one comment; are you right handed? If you are, then there is a "correct" way to wind the cord round the drill to stop it climbing up. If you are right handed and are holding the bow, then bring the drill to the cord from the left (i.e. outside the bow) then twist the drill into the cord anti-clockwise.

The other thing is to make sure that you are bowing completely flat. If not then even a slight upwards motion will make the cord creep up the drill.

Good work!

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
I've got a Scout Group to teach this too so was looking for bearing block solution and found ASDA have little steel egg cups (four for £3). I split the top from the bottom and mounted the bottom (a more shallow cup) into a wooden block then put two of the now bottom-less upper (egg) receptacles inside each other (I found out the hard way just how hot they get singly) and whilst not very organic or Bushcrafty they do work.

With regards to wood I've found dry willow on willow to be a pretty good certainty. The issue I've really struggled with is technique, I was going hell for leather and whilst it appears counter intuitive I'd go gentle then alternate pressure with speed, so push down hard, relax and speed up, slow down and push hard repeat till you "dissolve into a pool of lactic acid". Finally don't stress about the coal again you'll think I'm mad but chill, get inside the oxygen tent and recover. Then gently place the smoulder coal in your tinder bundle (smould to quote Rob with a B on youtube) and again gently blow "ta dah" impressed a load of townie kids enough to put down their X-Playboxiiis!!! Any outbreaks of arson in the Midlands are entirely coincidental, your honour!

I'm afraid its either get coaching or spend hours and hours and hours in the garage. I did both - Thanks Jason at Woodland Ways!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learnt via the "hours and hours in the garage" as well as hoovering up tips from here.

Now I understand what a superb tool a bow drill is and how best to tune it to perfection (thickness of drill, length of bow, low friction bearing etc) I truly believe that it should not be a physical endurance test. If it is, one of the components aint right.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I learnt via the "hours and hours in the garage" as well as hoovering up tips from here.

Now I understand what a superb tool a bow drill is and how best to tune it to perfection (thickness of drill, length of bow, low friction bearing etc) I truly believe that it should not be a physical endurance test. If it is, one of the components aint right.

spot on mate, if your dripping with sweat your doing it wrong...:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE