Bow wood / staves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gyro

Oct 20, 2008
Norfolk
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but would like to ask advice on purchasing bow staves for making longbows. I've made a few English longbows from Lemonwood, and a laminate of lemonwood & Hickory, but am having dificulty trying to source any other types of stave.

Ideally, I'd like my next bow(s) to be from Ash, but can't seem to track down anybody that'll supply some. I'm in Norfolk, and so far can only get kiln dried planks of Ash, which I'm hesitant to use.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How about an intro Gyro, why not tell us a little about yourself.

We`re a friendly bunch you know.

Well most of us are ...

Gyro

Oct 20, 2008
Norfolk
Okay, I'm in my late late 30's, live on the coast in Norfolk, and LOVE working with wood !

Aside from my interest in bushcraft skills, and wanting my kids to grow up knowing which trees are which, and what plants they can eat etc. etc., my main hobby is making English longbows. In addition, any other type of traditional wood working is something which fascinates me. jJust over 3 years ago, I made a solid oak crib for when my son was born. It was loosely based on a tudor design, and totally without screws or nails. I get VERY anal about trying to be as traditional as possible ... DEFINITELY no power tools !

Oh, and Spiritofold, shame I didn't join this forum a few months back; we were camping near Stonehenge at the end of August !

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Okay, I'm in my late late 30's, live on the coast in Norfolk, and LOVE working with wood !

Aside from my interest in bushcraft skills, and wanting my kids to grow up knowing which trees are which, and what plants they can eat etc. etc., my main hobby is making English longbows. In addition, any other type of traditional wood working is something which fascinates me. jJust over 3 years ago, I made a solid oak crib for when my son was born. It was loosely based on a tudor design, and totally without screws or nails. I get VERY anal about trying to be as traditional as possible ... DEFINITELY no power tools !

Oh, and Spiritofold, shame I didn't join this forum a few months back; we were camping near Stonehenge at the end of August !

Its always the way! :)

I'd love to see some pix of your woodwork. Woodworking is something that makes my soul sing, i love it! Anal is good with woodwork, gotta make the best of it :)

Gyro

Oct 20, 2008
Norfolk
Last bow I made: Lemonwood, backed with hickory, 50 lb draw weight :-

bows008ca9.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE