Wood burner stove advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Here is a modern kitchen wood stove: wood stove. I have one like that in my cottage, it has worked very well for the last 10 years. While intended for cooking it does give out a fair amount of heat too.
Are you able to post a picture?

It wants a sign in when clicking the link

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Mr R,

Used a woodburner for 10plus years at the last house.

Ref: palletts keep a look out for the ones used to transport flags etc, they have a redish look to the wood.

Most flags now come from India etc and they use a type of hardwood that burns very well and is resists damp.

Cheers

Boots

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi Mr R,

Used a woodburner for 10plus years at the last house.

Ref: palletts keep a look out for the ones used to transport flags etc, they have a redish look to the wood.

Most flags now come from India etc and they use a type of hardwood that burns very well and is resists damp.

Cheers

Boots
I've had the pleasure. They are made from some kinda crazy hardwood, and your right they do burn well, but it's almost a shame to burn them as it would lend itself well to all kinds of timber projects.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Are you in a smoke control area?

If so you'll fall foul of the legislation burning pallets. None of the exempted appliances are certified for burning this wood, just seasoned hard wood of 20% or less moisture.

The law has recently tighten, due to air quality issues from all the wood burners Bern fitted. So now its fixed penalty notices

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just to clarify: what is hard wood what is soft wood. Are there simple definitions? I think the cleanest burning wood we have here is debarked alder. Is that hard or soft?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just to clarify: what is hard wood what is soft wood. Are there simple definitions? I think the cleanest burning wood we have here is debarked alder. Is that hard or soft?
Hard wood is the wood that comes from flowering plants, also known as angiosperm. ... Softwood is the wooD that comes from gymnosperm trees, which have needles and produce cones. Gymnosperm is a Greek term meaning “naked seed.” These trees are usually evergreen conifers such as spruce or pine trees.

Reactions: wookii

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hardwood. Anything coniferous is classed as softwood. Alder used to be cut here down in the south of England to be sent up to the Scottish Armouries on trains to be turned into charcoal for gunpowder, that’s how clean it is.

I’ve tried it in the burner and didn’t get much out of it in terms of heat.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
OK got that, the many Americans I have asked it did not know.

I’ve tried it in the burner and didn’t get much out of it in terms of heat.
The energy content of wood is nearly constant by dry weight, very resinous parts being the common exception. Dry alder has quite low density so by volume not all that much energy. It is commonly used to warm "smoke saunas" and to smoke fish or meat.

D

Deleted member 56522

Afternoon all,

I'm looking to have an inset wood burner fitted in the lounge fireplace, I know I can burn kiln dried wood, smokeless coals etc but what about pallet timber.? I have access to a free supply of pallets if I want them.

So.. Can I burn them safely.?
Pallets are a real pain to cut up. If you use a power saw, the wood will "swivel" and jam up causing the tool to be wrenched out of your hands. And too often there's an odd nail somewhere to wreck the blade. The only way I found to cut them up, left clumsy lumps, which don't stack and which don't fit well into the wood burner ... and then leave a load of nails at the end.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Pallets are a real pain to cut up. If you use a power saw, the wood will "swivel" and jam up causing the tool to be wrenched out of your hands. And too often there's an odd nail somewhere to wreck the blade. The only way I found to cut them up, left clumsy lumps, which don't stack and which don't fit well into the wood burner ... and then leave a load of nails at the end.
I bought a circular saw blade that's "multi-purpose" for chopping up pallets.
That way if I do hit a nail it's no problem.
They're still a pain and only good for kindling/garden projects etc.

Reactions: Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE