Wood burner stove advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Afternoon all,

I'm looking to have an inset wood burner fitted in the lounge fireplace, I know I can burn kiln dried wood, smokeless coals etc but what about pallet timber.? I have access to a free supply of pallets if I want them.

So.. Can I burn them safely.?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Robbi, there are many types of pallet treated with many types of paint & stain ( e.g. Chep) and preservative. The received wisdom is "not necessarily safe" but lots of people do it. That said, most pallets are fairly thin wood other than the corner blocks so burn up quickly. That said, free is free!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Be aware that pallets are often made from fast grown pine which can be fairly resinous so keep an eye on your chimney for creosote build up.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I burn any pallet wood that looks like normal wood ( if that makes sense?) They are mainly pine. The corners, if they are proper wood and not the chip ones, burn hot and fast as you would expect from pine. The slats make brilliant kindling, sometimes they will come off the pallets very easily, the knotty bits you can chuck straight on the fire the straight grained stuff splits brilliantly. I wouldn't recommend using it as your only wood source though, very resinous. Keep it dry if possible as it soaks up water like a sponge.

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Think I'll just keep the door shut.
Its when you are lighting and the door is open a bit and roaring to get to temperature or it is in ours that the spitting happens. Once it gets to temperature I can put ash logs on and get the red glow that brings the casing up to temperature and then relax somewhat. To burn pallet wood a big firebox is handy else you are up and down rather than enjoying your book/radio/BCUK conversations!:)
S

Afternoon all,

I'm looking to have an inset wood burner fitted in the lounge fireplace, I know I can burn kiln dried wood, smokeless coals etc but what about pallet timber.? I have access to a free supply of pallets if I want them.

So.. Can I burn them safely.?
Robbi.
Are most wood pallets treated?

Image result for are pallets made with treated wood

Most domestic pallets are not treated with chemicals, so they should be safe. But you still have to be careful. Many crafters use these pallets safely, but it is better if you can trace from where they came.
https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
Keith.

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Robbi.
Are most wood pallets treated?

Image result for are pallets made with treated wood
Most domestic pallets are not treated with chemicals, so they should be safe. But you still have to be careful. Many crafters use these pallets safely, but it is better if you can trace from where they came.
https://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
Keith.

All the ones I’ve come across are always heat treated. Probably something to do with eu regulations on chemicals and their use? Most pallets (especially domestic ones) usually end their life not as a pallet anymore so it makes sense.

Reactions: Le Loup

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The problem with pallet wood, it just burns up before you’ve even sat back down after putting more in. There‘s a bit of control to be had by adjusting the vents so the brief heat doesn’t just shoot up the chimney, but it doesn’t have much calorific value. Best mixed with hardwood logs, used as kindling, or burnt in a stove with good firebricks inside.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Pallet wood is heat treated to kill insects in various stages. Practically world wide now. The mark for that resembles a wheat ear, burned or printed somewhere on the sides.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here is a modern kitchen wood stove: wood stove. I have one like that in my cottage, it has worked very well for the last 10 years. While intended for cooking it does give out a fair amount of heat too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE