Bow from Bamboo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Hi All,
Finally got round to having a go but I'm not having much luck getting tie on nocks to do their job, anyone got a fool (me) proof way of creating them?
Cheers
David

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
just my twopence worth :D

if you tie serving threads on either end of the bow to stop the string wandering down the limbs and then wax (or glue) them in place then a simple loop on one end of the bowstring and a bowline tied to the other limb.

I really must get around to making that Ash longbow I remember reading about many moons ago LOL

Greywolf

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Greywolf said:
just my twopence worth :D

if you tie serving threads on either end of the bow to stop the string wandering down the limbs and then wax (or glue) them in place then a simple loop on one end of the bowstring and a bowline tied to the other limb.

I really must get around to making that Ash longbow I remember reading about many moons ago LOL

Greywolf
Lots of glue then I think, and enough layers of thread wrapped round to build up a bit of a ridge as barrier to the string I assume.
Ash longbows are fantastic bits of kit, if you want someone to show you how to make one you can do alot worse than go on this longbow making course by http://www.greenwoodtrust.org.uk/LongBows.htm
When I did it a couple of years ago all of us produced a good longbow at the end of the the 3 days (even if one persons was a very short longbow after he snapped about 6" off the tip of one one of the limbs by standing on it :rolleyes: ). On top of that it is a really nice spot to spend a long weekend and an organisation doing it's very best to sustain a wide range of traditional skills so well worth supporting in my book.
Cheers
David

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
dtalbot said:
Lots of glue then I think, and enough layers of thread wrapped round to build up a bit of a ridge as barrier to the string I assume.
Ash longbows are fantastic bits of kit, if you want someone to show you how to make one you can do alot worse than go on this longbow making course by http://www.greenwoodtrust.org.uk/LongBows.htm
When I did it a couple of years ago all of us produced a good longbow at the end of the the 3 days (even if one persons was a very short longbow after he snapped about 6" off the tip of one one of the limbs by standing on it :rolleyes: ). On top of that it is a really nice spot to spend a long weekend and an organisation doing it's very best to sustain a wide range of traditional skills so well worth supporting in my book.
Cheers
David

Is there somewhere nearby to them that you can camp overnight?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Marts said:
Is there somewhere nearby to them that you can camp overnight?
They have some wooden 'tents' on site you can hire, at least one of the group I was with brought there own tent and pitched it on the site, they where quite happy with that and it gives you access to the toilets and kitchen. I did my usual and stayed in the local youth hostel and cycled to the course each day as I figured I'd have enough to carry home with my bow and no tent!

Jan 22, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
So then, just to clarify on these string nocks.
Ridges are created on both sides of the bows using a rope or string of some sort that is glued or waxed in place. The bowstring is tied to one end using a bowline and the other end of the bowstring that has a loop in it is slid over onto the other end, and then voila you have knocks?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
This is the weakest part of the design, at least the way I layed it out in the tutorial :(

It is best, if you can lay the bow out so that you have a natural node just below where you want the nock to be. The swell of the node keeps the wrap on nock from slipping.

Failing that. Scrape the coating off the bamboo. The waxy surface won't take glue. If you use a thinner cord for the nocks you get more surface contact, a better bond. A longer wrap will also give better adhesion.

Bamboobow17.jpg

I found that unlike on a normal bow, if the loop in the bow string was big enough to slide up over the wrap on stringing, it was big enough to come off again. I tend to make the loop small and take it over the tip for each stringing.

Jan 22, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks C_Claycomb,
I am not using this style of knock for a bamboo bow, but for a pyramid syle bow made out of red oak. That way I can have it narrow enough at the top to limit to limit the shock when the arrow is loosed. I plan to use this bow to shoot off of my horse.

Do you know anything about using leather instead of string or a light rope? Using the right kind of glue the leather should bond to the wood.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have you thought about attaching a small wedge to the back of the bow at the tip? Have the short side of the wedge make a step for the string loop to rest on?

Leather would work, the right glue would probably make it set hard like light wood.

Horse archery with a pyramid bow? COOL! Do get some pictures up when you are done!

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I know it's a bit of extra work, but by lashing the whole bow I find the nocks stay stay put. Below is my son starting his lashing, with the first nock in place.

lashings.jpg

I too will be interested in seeing some pics of your finished bow Deut. Sounds good.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I got my bamboo bow made this weekend, it took less than three hours and seems to work ok. I havn't had a chance to make some arrows, and take it somewhere to try it, but it pulls nicely. I used some small bamboo wedges tapped into the top and bottom bindings to act as knocks. I'll try to post some pictures later when I've a bit more time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE