Bow from Bamboo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
MarkG said:
Can you make a usable bow from Bamboo? Does anyone have a guide for this?
I think there is somthing in one of the volumes of the Traditional Bowyers Bible,
I'll have a look when I get home.
Cheers
David

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Yes you can.

The bow that Ed refers to is make of 1/2 inch(ish) diameter garden canes. I shamelessly copied the idea for mine from Volume 1 of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Chapter 2 - Design and performance section by Tim Baker :notworthy .

You can also make very good bows from large diameter bamboo, but it can be tricky to work with and finding a source of the big stuff can be hard. I got some 3-4" diameter from a garden centre, that is about the lower limit for splitting and laminating a bow, probably a bit too thin for making a whole bow from a section.

The garden cane bundle bow will work with any bundle of thinner sticks, TTBB even has a picture of one made of old arrows!! :rolmao:

The recipe is pretty easy. You want about five canes, though the longest section doesn't need to be more than 6 feet, it is easier to find slightly the slightly thicker bamboo in 8foot lengths. Some of the stuff sold in 6 foot lengths is a bit weedy. Check that it doesn't have cracks or holes, and is well seasoned. If it is still a little green it really needs to be baked a bit in the sun to turn it yellow/gold.

There is a lot of info on line about tempering bamboo for bows and fishing rods, I haven't tried that, it seems to run counter to the simplicity of a bundle bow. Bet tempered canes would work well though!

There are two ways of laying out the canes. Either have one 6', one 5', one 4" and one 2", lash together every 6 inches, alternate the thick and thin ends from one end of the bow to the other, you don't want all the thickest ends of the canes all in one bow limb.

The other way is basically the same, except that you use two 5'6" canes and stagger them so that the thin ends make the limb tips, one each limb, This is instead of using a 6' and a 5' cane.

Nocks for a string are a bit of a pain in thin bamboo. Best bet is to take thin cord and make wrap-on nocks soaked with glue. Bamboo is slippery and its hard to make lashings stay put. If you cut into the can it will break, so tye on nocks seem the only way. You could drill horn or wood over nocks as used on long bows, but again that is more complicated.

Don't try to glue the lashings that hold the bow together. I have heard you can use gaffer tape instead of cord to bind the bow together. The canes do need to be able to move relative to one another though. Waxed cord works great if you can get it. Linen as used for shoe repair is pretty strong.

If too many canes are used in the grip area you make the arrow do a lot of work to bend round the bow. Better to keep it as slip as possible.

Now you are gonna tell me that you didn't mean that kind of bow!!! :yikes: :rolmao:

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
erm actually I meant..... :nana:

That's great thanks just what I wanted to know :You_Rock_

And just to change the topic (well it is my thread :eek:): ) Does anyone know where I can get new strings for a cross bow? No Idea what make the bow is just that it was made in Wilenhall in the 60's/70's

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Mark, sorry can't help with the crossbow but for everyone else I'll give a shameless plug for a little outfit in the USA who make really nice custom bowstrings. They offer a good price, deliver without fuss to the UK and have the best attitude to customer service you could ask for.

Tammy Jo's Archery Supplies at http://www.flemishbowstrings.com/

No connection, just a happy customer.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
C_Claycomb said:
Yes you can.

The bow that Ed refers to is make of 1/2 inch(ish) diameter garden canes. I shamelessly copied the idea for mine from Volume 1 of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Chapter 2 - Design and performance section by Tim Baker :notworthy .
Saved me looking, that's the one I was thinking of. In fact I think I'm going to make one tomorrow now youve reminded me of them!
Cheers
David

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
MarkG said:
What shoud I use for the string, other than just er string?
Onto a different question now as the string is the most important part! If the string breaks while you are drawing your bow then chances are the bow will break as well as the tips whip forward unrestrained. A google on making bow string should tell you all you need to know or buy a ready made longbow string from somewhere like http://www.quicks.com/.
Be warned making bows is every bit as addictive as making knives!
Cheers
David

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, in the bundle bows there can be a couple kinds of string. Bow string, and lashing string. Just about anything will do for lashing. I used WH Smith's parcel string :roll: only problem is that it does come loose over time and needs relashing, its hard to wax.

Bow string is also pretty easy. I reckon that buying a 1/4 lb roll of B50 Dacron from an archery shop, Quick's isn't the only one, is the easiest. You get enough for a lot of bows, its ready waxed so it sticks easily and is strong enough that you don't have to reverse twist the whole thing. 12-14 strands of dacron will work great for a 50lb bow. If you go below 12 the string starts to get a bit thin, not so weak that it will break on a 40lb bow, but you need more packing so the arrow stays nocked :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the linen bow string material that Quick's sells, I bought some and it isn't really all that good. I did a break test and to get a string of 200lb strength (4 x bow weight) made the string too thick to fit standard arrows :yikes: :censored:.

If you want to keep it all natural you would do better finding some cobblers type linen thread, say 3 to 7 strand. I got some 3 strand and a doubled length of it (no knots) supported a 35lb dumb bell. Plenty strong enough for a bow string of useful dimensions. More hassle to work though than the dacron because it isn't ready waxed and needs full reverse twisting.

Whatever, you also want some thread for serving the arrow nocking area. Archery shops sell thread for this. You don't need a jig though, just the thread. The cobbler's thread will work for serving too.

You could use the same dacron and serving to make your own cross bow string, just make sure that you use enough strands!

Bow making is addictive, especially since it needs LOTS fewer tools than knife making!

Bit sad that I could remember that Bowyer's Bible reference without looking :rolmao:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
C_Claycomb said:
Bow making is addictive, especially since it needs LOTS fewer tools than knife making!

Bit sad that I could remember that Bowyer's Bible reference without looking :rolmao:
Yep,
Even to make a longbow all you really need is a sharp pocket knife, a draw knife and spokeshave and a day or twos relaxing work!
Neither could I remember the exact details and its only about a week since I looked it up!
Cheers
David

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
MarkG said:
Can you make a usable bow from Bamboo? Does anyone have a guide for this?
Yep. Do you want to build one of bamboo only or laminated bamboo / wood ? Both will woork nicely. I've made quite a few laminated osage / bamboo bows in the style made popular by Dean Torges. His video is one of the best bowbuilding videos that I have seen, and the Bowyers Edge tool that he designed is my alltime favourite :biggthump

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
As this is in Fair Game I suppose I better remind you that you ain't allowed to hunt with a bow on this island of ours!
Cheers
David

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I got myself some suitable bamboo today for a bow, now we need to see how long it takes me to make it, maybe it will be a nice relaxing Christmas project :biggthump

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Tony said:
I got myself some suitable bamboo today for a bow, now we need to see how long it takes me to make it, maybe it will be a nice relaxing Christmas project :biggthump

I don't know how many of you read the "Bulletin of Primitive Technology"? In The Spring 2004 NO 27 addition there's an article on making a bow with 4 pieces of bamboo. It it is six feet long, pulls 70 pounds at 28"The author, Randal S. Kinkade says that it takes on average 2 hours 50 mins to make!

Its worth a read.

Best wishes,

James

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Tony said:
Where can you get the articles?

Hi Tony.

http://www.hollowtop.com/spt_html/spt.html

It's the society of primitive technologies magazine. It's an amazing resource.

If you join the society you recieve two copies a year. People from the society contribute articles, anyon from academics to long haired hippies like myself :wink:
When I joined it took a while to recieve my first copy. If you're in a hurry,I would be happy to mail you a copy.

Best wishes,

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi James, I would appreciate it if you could get it to me. I've had a look at the site and it look s like they've some very interesting stuff on there, I may very well join up. Thanks for pointing it out :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE