Bow Drill Success

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Well folks I have just made fire with the drill.

It's taken a few months on and off. It's been very frustrating, but I've learnt an awful lot. It's surprising how getting the position/posture correct and remembering to saw from the shoulder makes such a difference to the outcome.

I've replaced the cord about 5 times due to breaking, and have now settled on an ordinary shoestring but wrapped round the spindle 5-6 times like an Egyptian drill. I ditched the other bits that came with the kit and made the hearth, spindle and hand hold from an Elder bush growing behind my allotment.

The total unexpected benefit has been learning about tree identification in looking for suitable wood types

I knew I was getting close on Friday when I managed to get a coal three times in succession but couldnt blow into flame on the tinder bundle. Just tried again but added some fluff from a Reedmace head I spotted in a pond in my local wood.

"FIRE"

You know when your getting it right, long strokes of the bow, then smoke comes pretty quick.

One very satisfied happy Stryker

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
It did , but now the high isnt enough, I used to be ok just flicking a lighter, then the bowdrill, but now I want a bigger hit. Im thinking gunpowder now....And attacking a castle... :(

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
It certainly does John,

I was spurred on by trying traditional flint and steel, which is so uncomplicated and reliable.

Just need to get the bl**dy fire piston to work now.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
It certainly does John,

I was spurred on by trying traditional flint and steel, which is so uncomplicated and reliable.

Just need to get the bl**dy fire piston to work now.

I know the feeling:) ...........Great to get the drill and bow to work but the fire piston:banghead:

I made my own to very tight tolerances with a really good seal and it gets hot but doesn't work and I've tried all types of tinder.

I keep convincing myself it can't be that hard to make one, I'm an Engineer working to fractions of a millimeter and these are made by people with primitive tools:confused:

Richard

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well done Stryker. I enjoy the fire bow now I feel more confident with it. I still feel very happy when I get fire.
I felt excited again when I managed to show someone the process at a show yesterday. He managed to make fire on my set in 5 mins. He was chuffed to bits, as were his family who were watching with a group of people. He'd never even tryed it before, so now hes off to gather the materials to try again by himself. Set me up for the day that did.:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've got pictures of that fellow Addo, it was a sterling effort! I've been checking my books and cannot see rowan as a hearth board material in any of the books. Seems strange when that rowan hearth is quite possibly the best hearth board I have ever used.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've got pictures of that fellow Addo, it was a sterling effort! I've been checking my books and cannot see rowan as a hearth board material in any of the books. Seems strange when that rowan hearth is quite possibly the best hearth board I have ever used.

Cool, be glad to see em. Your Rowan board certainly works to make an ember quickly and good and hot too. The coconut fibre works as a cracking inner nest material.

Suddenly seeing the benefits of offering to fell the diseased Rowan tree on my neighbours boundary.:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah yes, the coconut fibre is great. Just a tip for anybody wanting to try one out but doesn't have the good fortune to live on a tropical island, keep an eye out in your local supermarkets for coconuts. If you see any with the tufts of fibre on them, rip the fibres off and throw it in your trolley. They aren't gonna bill you for it, they'll just assume it's a bit of crud from previous shoppers. Once you are out, chuck it in your pocket. It's just a bit of fibre so won't affect the supermarket at all, you're just doing a bit of clearing up.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have so far not had any luck...smoke yes but not a thing more....think it will just take me more time and effort...well done on your first flames

Keep trying, you'll get there in the end. I've been using the hand drill today and ignored my own advise, I now have a huge blister on my palm below the little finger! Got lots of smoke, just not enough heat to get the char to ignite. I was using teasel on willow, and it is pretty good! Unfortunately, my Clematis board is as hard as nails so is no good IMO. I cannot dent it with my thumb nail, it is that hard! I've got some honey suckle drying out though, I'll see if that works at all.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Congrats, Stryker!

I'm doing the same, trying the method out, on and off, for a few weeks now. But I haven't managed it yet. I also have the same positive side effect, learning about tree identification.

I found me some poplar which is currently drying in the shed, I have high hopes for it.

Renewed motivation!

I also want to try out the firesteel/ stone and piston method, eventually.

Again, congrats and thaks for sharing the story!

Mike

Well folks I have just made fire with the drill.

It's taken a few months on and off. It's been very frustrating, but I've learnt an awful lot. It's surprising how getting the position/posture correct and remembering to saw from the shoulder makes such a difference to the outcome.

I've replaced the cord about 5 times due to breaking, and have now settled on an ordinary shoestring but wrapped round the spindle 5-6 times like an Egyptian drill. I ditched the other bits that came with the kit and made the hearth, spindle and hand hold from an Elder bush growing behind my allotment.

The total unexpected benefit has been learning about tree identification in looking for suitable wood types

I knew I was getting close on Friday when I managed to get a coal three times in succession but couldnt blow into flame on the tinder bundle. Just tried again but added some fluff from a Reedmace head I spotted in a pond in my local wood.

"FIRE"

You know when your getting it right, long strokes of the bow, then smoke comes pretty quick.

One very satisfied happy Stryker

Sep 11, 2009
Portsmouth, UK
Some friends and i have been trying to make fire by friction, We have tried many types of wood and find Willow to be really good. However all we have managed to make so far is lots of smoke and black dust, No matter what we try there is still no ember any ideas / Advice?
Help us out please

PhotDave & Gang.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dave,
If you have black dust, you can't be far away - you just have to gut it out to get your ember. Many of us tried for years before someone else showed a tiny nugget of information that led to beaming success.

ATB

Ogri the trog

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I don't mind running a morning/afternoon workshop for bowdrill if anyone is interested?
No charge, just an offer for fellow BCUK members. :)
You'll need to travel to Oxford and maybe bring some tinder (A grapefruit sized bundle of buffed clematis bark is my favourite natural tinder) I don't mind prepping a few sets.
Let me know if you're interested. It'll have to be towards the end of October though, maybe a saturday or sunday.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Ogri is spot on Dave, it's just a case of perseverance and giving it all you got.

It most definitely becomes easier once you have achieved it. I find now that the smoke comes readily after some well paced, even, with sort of half force down pressure. Once the smoke has really started I firm up on the downward pressure and speed up, but still keep it at an even pace.

You are very, very close to achieving that ember

Keep going mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE