Bought a fake torch, now what?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
TL/DR Bought a torch, found out it's a fake, got refund, no response from Ebay or Traiding standards, seller has listed more fakes. what to do!?

so i bought a LED Lenser P17 on ebay (yea i know) the seller had 1700+ feedback, positive for the last few months, all the negative was checked and turned out to be things not turning up and such.

so after bidding and winning (all happening within a few hours of finishing), after paying i looked over the page, realised the seller is from China, but the item is in UK.

so emailed LED lenser to ask what to look for in a fake, they said to just give the serial code.

when i got it, it looked very genuine, went over it, compared with everything online (there wasn't much to find) and the ones that i have, it all looked legit until i got the email back from LED Lenser saying it's a fake!

9810903605_c34481bd1d_o.jpg

So i first emailed Ebay, then the seller, got a full refund after about 6 hours of messages, then emailed trading standards (in the area the seller is based), that was a few days ago, still no response from ebay or trading standards, now the seller has listed even more LED Lenser products that i know are fake and someone's going to buy without suspecting.

I'll be uploading a lot more pics soon of the fake, because it was hard for me to find any images online that were of worth to compare with

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99208797@N02/sets/72157635703337146/

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What to do is inform LED Lenser (the company) as to the sellers identity, along with a copy to ebay and trading standards. Its really up to the company to pursue this matter - it can't be doing their sales any good.

Also - don't by branded goods from China or Chinese sellers!

Alternatively, since you got a refund (and presumably still have the torch), buy another one, and repeat the exercise until they stop doing it!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Be thankful your refund came without too much hassle. Put it down to experience: another stitch in life's rich tapestry.
Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you still got the torch?

If so, seriously, what to just keep buying them and keep complaining?

It appeals to my petard foisting penchant.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Have you still got the torch?

If so, seriously, what to just keep buying them and keep complaining?

It appeals to my petard foisting penchant.

How about we do a big Group Buy and then demand a refund? :lmao:

The LED Lensers are made in China anyway. These so called 'fakes' are probably out of the same factory only cheaper as they are coming direct and don't buy the middlemen a new BMW! It isn't V2 rocket Science for the Krauts (oops was that non-PC? I claim licence from Godwin's Law) to use American supplied CREE technology, some anodised Aluminium and cheap Chinese labour to make inexpensive trade price torches and then charge us through the nose for them! I must admit I sometimes even buy Cornish Pasties that aren't actually made in Cornwall!

http://www.brightlites.co.uk/content/aboutus.asp

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The best way to sort this one out is as others have said. If we all buy one or two each and then demand refunds it might get to expensive for them to continue selling and we get a free albeit substandard torch for our trouble!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I've been caught like this before with fake usb drives. Same route as well, UK listing but really from China.

Bloody hate fake rubbish. And so might those whose fake torch goes up in a metaphoric ball of flames.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lots of kit comes from the same Chinese factories. Does the fake torch perform? Look at the 2013 MSR Pocket Rocket for £25, its the same as the Wilkinson stove for £9 (less in the recent sales).

You have a torch, full refund so... be happy

I got a P7 off ebay which I knew was a copy/fake. £22 all in delivered I think. Brill torch and excellent build quality. Gutted I didn't complain to get a refund. My mate had bought off the seller before I had and he was chuffed with his.
I guess to be sure you need to buy off an authorised reseller and pay the going rate.

May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
i got a P7 and P5 off of ebay, pretty cheap and they were genuine (had them checked also after this purchase!)

update:

contacted a lot of people who have bought from him (via feedback left) got 3 replies from people, 2 have checked theirs with LED lenser and they have also bought fakes.

have now got a reply from Traiding standards, who said this is the first they have heard of Fake LED Lensers being sold, the address that i gave them, which was the returns address on the package is for a traiding estate that import from china and distribute in the UK, probably the reason the item was listed as being sold in UK and was sent so quick.

they plan on buying one off the seller and confirming they are fakes.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Sorry you've had a bad experience, but I was surprised to hear Trading Standards sharing their plans with you in case the seller got wind, so to speak.

May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
it's unlikely to be a high priority case anyhow, probably just more informative then letting things slip as to what they were going to do, 1 person selling fake torch's is hardly of any concern to them, they have huge cases, this is minor, i doubt the case will be of high priority. in any case, there's not much they can do since the seller is based in China.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good on you. I wouldn't be surprised if trading standards make a sweep of that trading estate. Its probably fronting dozens of fake ebay vendors. Good on you for following up and protecting others!

I always say "don't put up with it" - you didn't - my respects.

May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
it works just fine, for now that is. as you would expect from a genuine LED Lenser p17 (from video's i have seen online) and performs just as well as my P7.

imagine you took one of these with you, your up a mountain using it, and the dam thing starts to flicker and then cut off. as is the case with most fakes, they perform well to begin with, but then start to fail quickly. I wouldn't and wouldn't want any one else to rely on a shoddy product that may put them in danger, believing it's a genuine product.

this P17 that i got, i believe is a reject rather than an our right fake, because i have discovered on the LED housing under the lens cap has a large gouge taken out of it from a machine that would cut a notch into it for the rubber seal, his has made the rubber seal not fit with a gap and rough edge that will eventually cut through the seal as you move the lamp from Spot to flood, the inside is also unfinished as it's not correctly sealed.

but that's just my guess, it might be a complete fake.

May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
This is the message i just got from the seller today, so i guess he know's who reported him.

'Conglatuation sir..

You made my account down.. I can't sell anything on ebay from now on.

MC008 MC067 Restricted 100%

We can't sell anything on ebay in the futurn... '

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE