Bottle Cap Tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Do have to wonder how much tinder you can squeeze in-between two bottle caps?
If dry weather then a few shavings or little feather stick should be good. Wet weather there cant be enough there to be useful?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Might be ok for cotton wool, but somehow it seems to me to be a complicated way of carrying not enough tinder. If you want to carry tinder on a keychain then a simple capsule would work, and with an o-ring would be more reliably waterproof than this.

Good creativity though.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
It looks nice, but I wonder if you could open it when needed. My experience with superglue is that glued really means glued.

I have been using one of these on my keychain:
sku_148195_1.jpg

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
The thing with the capsules is getting material out if u jam it in.... I used too have a pet ID capsule that I kept a little tinder in but had this problem with!!

Wully

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Seems like a decent enough idea in theory, yet in reality the amount of tinder that can be packed in with the two knots is going to be so minimal that it wouldn't really be worth it imo.. Thanks for sharing though its a neat idea :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
The thing with the capsules is getting material out if u jam it in.... I used too have a pet ID capsule that I kept a little tinder in but had this problem with!!

Wully

That is very true. I solved this by putting in a loop of paper first so that if you pull on the ends everything would come out of the capsule.

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
That's a simple solution to I dare say a common problem two socks...I like!!
If I were using superglue too close it I would only use 1 or 2 dots around the rim, just enough too hold closed without making it hard too access the materials inside!!

Wully

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice idea. I reckon Vaselined cotton wool would cope with damp better and give you more tinder. I'd pierce the caps and knot micro paracord in place to help separate them, and use thin strips of duck tape to hold them together instead of glue.

Shnoop

Aug 29, 2013
Larkhall, Scotland
I like this idea also mountain, I'm currently looking for the perfect "stick" too make a walking pole out of and will be looking too plastic bottle caps provide some dry storage within my pole too store tinder! Still in planning stages until I find a well weathered stick as I'm not much of a waiter lol

Wully

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE