Bothy Life BBC programme TONIGHT

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
New programme, Bothy Life, on BBC 2 Scotland tonight at 9pm.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just watched this, and I have to say I found it a very enjoyable and well-made film; and that's from one who never has and never will watch telly. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Oh that was lovely - the joy of iplayer so that one doesn't miss this kind of thing! Lovely. I've stayed in two that they featured both times intensely memorable and restorative. I sat and watched with a bit of Kendal mint cake and a hot cuppa to complete the experience!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
ACE ACE ACE, loved it, every minute, they only bid one o my bothy's, Corrour on the Lairig ghru but good memories.
And to all the nomads I've ever met in the Doune Bothy on the WHW, a BIG Hi and all the best. A wandering life for me.
PS, MBA, y'all do grand job.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I thought it was very disappointing TBH. It probably made no sense whatsoever to someone who didn't understand the culture behind the MBA. I thought the whole thing was very disjointed and what was that skiing footage about? Some nice pictures though and it served as a timely reminder as to why you should always carry a tent if you want your outdoor experience to be free from bumbling weird beards!

One interesting thing mentioned on the show was the Strathchailleach bothy which, for many years, was inhabited by a vagrant called James McRory Smith. The story of his life is recorded in a book called 'A Ceiling of Stars' by James Carron. An interesting read and also available on Kindle.
https://jamescarron.wordpress.com/features/surviving-strathchailleach/

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Wasn't impressed. They could have shown it in a better light.
Though i guess the producers were pointing out who you might be stuck with at any given time. ie, A serial Snorer, Two sheep murderers and a bunch of kids from the scheme....hey, i was once one of those kids from the scheme. I'm now a serial snorer, possibly a sheep worrier. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE