Borrowdale and Castle Crag - A few pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Took a trip over to Keswick with swmbo today and had a great days walking and ice cream eating, followed by tea and cream scones. Om nom nom :)

Parked down at Falcon Crag and walked up to Borrowdale
DSC01651.jpg

Castle Crag in the distance
DSC01650.jpg

Lovely and scenic walking up the valley
DSC01671.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

Our route to the right
DSC01672.jpg

Into the valley proper
DSC01652.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

Then a steady climb up the slate paths laid down by the miners many years ago
DSC01657.jpg

Great vista despite the haze in the air
DSC01659.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

Up into the old quarry, the upright stones is an ongoing thing apparently, the NT volunteers keep laying them down but somebody keeps putting them back up again. Lots of pics of these sorry, I got a bit carried away :rolleyes:
DSC01660.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01665.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

Views back down towards Derwent Water and Keswick. We'd set off from under the crag to the right of the lake.
DSC01669.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01670.jpg

Finished the day off with a steak and ale pie with a couple of pints of best en route back to the car.

All in all a great day out with the mrs

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Great stuff Rich, Borrowdale is my favourite valley, and luckily for me only half an hour away from home. I was camping there last weekend ( at Stonethwaite ) with my eldest son and two nephews, and the weather was as good as in your pics.

My wife and I walked over Castle Crag a few years ago on the day that all the male ants emerge. We were on the summit surrounded by thousands of flying ants, which were being eaten by scores of swallows and swifts.
Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Rich, Borrowdale is my favourite valley, and luckily for me only half an hour away from home.

You lucky swine, it's the first time I've ever explored up that side before and I'll definitely be going again. Sussed out quite a few nice bivvy spots aswell for the future ;)

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
Great pics, and looks like it was a great day! (Ice cream, beer AND a pie:D)

Why do NT keep removing the standing stones? Health and safety reasons is my bet :confused:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks a really good day out Rich, lovely scenery and great food to finish off with :)

Why do NT keep removing the standing stones? Health and safety reasons is my bet :confused:

More than likely but in that case I'd agree with them putting the standing stones down. Some of them didn't look too stable, they're just propped up with other stones leaning on them. All it takes is for a youngster to knock over a support to have it land on them and then the NT are held to account.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a good day Rich glad you managed to salvage something from the weekend.
The water looked nice!!!:rolleyes: But I bet you were to scared to ask!!! :lmao:

Will update you on the noo later got loads a meetings going on today!!!

Andy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice walk by the looks of it Rich.

I like the standing stones,I assume they get laid back down more for H&S reasons.
Mind you what about any loose rock and slates already there:dunno:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Takes me back that did ......I fieldwalked miles of that area. It's full of archaeology and a lot of blooming soggy fields :rolleyes:

Lovely bit of the world when the weather's for you though :D

Thanks for sharing,

cheers,
M

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic pics, we quite often go and stay at the little camp site in grange to go walking around there and its a lovely place. That walk up the slate is a bit iffy in places thought when you meet people the other way lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fantastic pics, we quite often go and stay at the little camp site in grange to go walking around there and its a lovely place. That walk up the slate is a bit iffy in places thought when you meet people the other way lol

Lol

We followed a couple of wrinklies back down and it tool ages, they were down on all fours in some places.

The campsite at Hollows farm looked nice, is that the one you've stopped at ? I noticed they had a couple of yurts and tipees there too.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Takes me back that did ......I fieldwalked miles of that area. It's full of archaeology and a lot of blooming soggy fields :rolleyes:

Lovely bit of the world when the weather's for you though :D

Thanks for sharing,

cheers,
M

Evening Mary.

Did you ever have anything to do with the archeology of Ennerdale? When I was 13 or 14 I used to practise my navigation by finding archeological sites mentioned in a library book that I can no longer remember the name of. A fascinating area, with evidence of occupation from at least the Bronze Age.

Cheers, Michael.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Great pics Rich goodjob The whole area around Keswick is one of my favourites....I've great memories of all the favourite felltops in the area, including a couple of days I bunked my lad off school when we did Great Gable and enjoyed Jennings' bitter...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE