Boots or Shoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I use Berghaus Explorer Trek or Trail (lighter weight version) all the time for everything except motorcycling. They last and last, which enables me to buy them at sales only. Sooo comfy, and the gtx seems to last quite well, keeping my feet dry from the inside and outside. I think i have 5 pairs now in various colours of mud marking, keeping the oldest and dirtiest for BC and field archery. No affiliation etc....

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Some team kit is pretty heavy Julia, if a team has to manage a fallen climber (for example) on technical ground you might be looking at the following list:

Stretcher 8 - 20 Kg (depending on make and model)
Casbag 4 kg
Vacum mattress 4 kg
Medical kit 5 kg
Technical crag kit 10 kg
Rope 10 - 20 kg
Personal kit 5 - 10 kg (depending on time of year and the situation)

These are only rough weights but even spread amongst the team MR still have to hump some big loads. Looks like Rich's team mates don't like him mind:p

That's some seriously heavy kit. Gives you a new appreciation of the effort MRT put in.

J

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've been wearing all terrain sandals for eight or nine months of the year since the mid nineties or so. I've coped with some quite rough terrain and I enjoy not having to replace socks every few hundred kilometres. :)

Guyjames

May 29, 2014
Winchester
If it helps, I have quite a bit of experience with Salamon and Merrells.

I had a pair of Salamon approach shoes which I wore regularly for a few years for mixed use, then wore them for a week of trekking in Dogon Country in Mali, covering about 10 miles per day on soft ground and some rocky ascents, in temperatures in the low 40s. I found the Salamons excellent, comfy, supportive and excellent grip with a stiffened sole for climbing / scrambling. I wear a 12 wide and was very happy.

Since then I have switched to Merrells for an approach shoe and don't have a bad word to say about them - I just threw out a pair that had seen use almost non-stop since 2008 that were falling apart and it was a sad day! What did I replace them with? More Merrell approach shoes - but my walking boots are Salamons.

I think as you say you need to try on a few. As ever, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so personally I always avoid the cheap look-a-like brands, and instead look for a pair of last season's Merrells in the sale.

Good luck!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Julie the wife loves her Karrimor 'Logger' boots for many reasons but mainly for the fact she takes a size 4 and they are not pink!
As for me I'm down to one pair of shoes and I haven't worn them since the day I was married seven years ago. Currently breaking in a pair British Army assault boots.

rg598

Native
I stick to boots. It's not for ankle support, but rather to protect my toes. If you are going up and down steep slopes, your toes can take a pounding from being compressed in the shoe. With a boot you can better secure your heel to the back of the boot, which protects your toes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE