Boots or Shoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

D_Fisher

Feb 19, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys,

I've always worn boots for my walking, and I'm now in the market for a new pair, however I seem to be seeing more and more arguments for the approach shoe.

All my walking tends to be weekend based, and I enjoy getting a bit of a stride on and covering as much ground as possible, which is why the lighter weight of the shoes is quite appealing.

I'm also thinking of trying a few more scrambling based routes, and I feel the extra dexterity provided by the shoes may be advantageous in these circumstances.

Just wondering what all of your views are on the subject?

Any suggestions for the type of footwear you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Fish

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've used both boots and shoes, and now am a solid convert to shoes. Lighter, more comfortable, and generally they have enough durability and comfort for what we do.

I am considering some light boots for winter use when there is snow on the ground. But the rest of the year, shoes are the way forward.

J

D_Fisher

Feb 19, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks very much, think with all the reviews I've been reading saying similar things, I'm gonna have to at least give them a go!
Obviously shoe fit is down to the individual but is there a particular brand you tend to stick with? I know Salomon are pretty popular, but they're also very expensive.

Fish

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'v always walked in the lightest footwear that is practical. On very rough, rocky terrain boots are useful, however most of the time I have walked in trainers or similar. I walk on Dartmoor in walking sandals sometimes, depending on where I'm going - the usual deciding factor is whether there is gorse where I want to go.

I've long been puzzled by the fashio for low cut semi-boots because they don't provide the protection and support that high boots do, yet they are heavier than trainers and reduce agility.

It's almost impossible to recomment a particular brand because that depends on your feet. The brand that fits is the best recommendation. I use Brasher because I have wide feet and they cut wide. Mr wears Salomon because they cut narrower. Go to a sports shop and try on different makes to see who makes shoes the same shape as your feet.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I tried Solomon shoes 15ish years ago. I got a pair of Exit low shoes, or some such. The first pair fell apart within a week. I took them back and got a second pair, They chewed my feet up something chronic, it was like they were made of sandpaper inside. I didn't hang on to them long.

I have used merrel shoes, and been content with them. I had a pair of Hitec shoes, but wasn't that impressed, I got them thinking they might be good as Magnums are good. They aren't. The last 3 pairs of shoes I've used have been The North Face Hedgehog GTX, I've had 3 versions, but I won't be getting another pair. The durability has gone downhill, I'm just eeking this pair along until I can save up to replace them. I'm not sure what I will get next.

I am tempted by the Inov-8 shoes, but they have low durability, and are typically rated to around 500 miles. Considering that I wear my TNF hedgehogs as my only pair of shoes, I can't really replace them every 500 miles.

Sorry that doesn't really give a useful answer. YMMV.

J

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Salomon, merrel, mammut are all good. I've just bought a pair of scarpa mojitos. Look funny, but more comfortable then any I've had previously. Avoid the cheap makes, they're all terribly made (I've been through most makes)

I've had to throw every pair away after one year, as I don't always wear socks and evidently have stinky feet. I make sure to wear socks with these pair...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Im pretty much the same as the others have said, i wear shoes now over boots. Winter or pretty poor weather, my goretex boots, other than that its trainers.

And incase you've not got to it yet, after the trainers vs boots debate, theres another one on goretex trainers vs non-goretex trainers :p

My personal preference is non goretex trainers and carry a pair of waterproof socks for when needed. The water is going to get inside the trainer anyway, so you might as well have a non-gtx quick drying one rather than a gtx shoe shaped water carrier.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
From your post I think you need both - approach shoes for fast & light easy hills and boots for scrambling.

I don't think personally that approach shoes offer enough ankle support or stiffness for scrambling. The soles are usually too soft also. In wet conditions approach shoes tend to slip around on your feet when you really need sure footed precision on greasy rock.

Boots like the La Sportiva Trango are ideal for scrambling, as for the approach shoes I like Merrell and Keen but if I'm honest they get worn more in the pub then on the hill.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On the GTX vs non-GTX debate. Non-GTX every time. However it's increasingly hard to find Non-GTX in hard to find in many highstreet stores.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The issue of colour in outdoor equipment is one that I could rant about at length, but yes, the whole let's make our shoes BLUE and YELLOW and FLUORESCENT is exacerbated even further by their view that to make a female version of a product it has to be PINK. I bought mens shoes last time round to avoid them being PINK.

That said, there is a certain argument that the colour of shoes for outdoor use is irrelevant, they should (or rather will be) be the colour of what ever the local mud is... Alas, if like me they are you're everyday shoes, then part of the time they aren't mud covered...

J

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
I'm considering Vivobarefoot trail freak when not carrying too heavy load. Else I have a pair of leather no membrane Altberg low shoes.

977bb728353b78bc04536ef87344f3a4.jpg

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Look into the Brasher suppalight boots. They come to just above the ankle and are very light but still give support. Always preferred boots myself especially if walking over tussocks etc.. They also tend to keep the feet dryer.

Tonyuk

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I would say it entirely depends on your load carriage. while you can strengthen your ankles up to a certain degree, if you go over on one with a full 80lt pack on your back then in shoes you are just asking for at least a sprain or break. Obviously you then also have to take into account the speed you are crossing terrain. When I am carrying over 35kg on my back for long periods or if I am carrying above 25kg at a fast near run pace then I always go for full ankle support boots, trips and stumbles then turn into nothing more than annoying. Obviously once I drop below the 25kg mark or am carrying a light load and running I go for shoes as they give the agility required that boots deny you. All horses and silver service stuff really.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would say it entirely depends on your load carriage. while you can strengthen your ankles up to a certain degree, if you go over on one with a full 80lt pack on your back then in shoes you are just asking for at least a sprain or break. Obviously you then also have to take into account the speed you are crossing terrain. When I am carrying over 35kg on my back for long periods or if I am carrying above 25kg at a fast near run pace then I always go for full ankle support boots, trips and stumbles then turn into nothing more than annoying. Obviously once I drop below the 25kg mark or am carrying a light load and running I go for shoes as they give the agility required that boots deny you. All horses and silver service stuff really.

I would question the merits of lugging 35kg for any period at all...

J

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I would question the merits of lugging 35kg for any period at all...

J

Part time mountain rescue so at times we have to lug silly amounts of kit. I find it handy to head out now and again with that sort of load to keep the body used to doing it. But it was more of an example of my own personal limits of what my ankles can cope with with/without boots, twisted/broken ankles etc is something I never am willing to risk hense why I use boots as soon as the weight starts to go up. No shoe no matter how good can beat a good boot for rolling on an ankle with load.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have recently invested in a pair of Aku U.S. Navy Seal boots, supplied by Nightgear (no association, etc..). There are a sort of 'love child' of a trainer and a boot, offering the lightness of a trainer and some - but not all - of the support of a boot. They are very comfortable indeed and strikes a very goos balance of supporting the foot but not completely deadening the feel of the ground on which you're standing. You won't feel the pointy rocks but you do get some useful 'terrain feedback'. The have good, well thought out Vibram soles and will be my go-to boot for all of the late spring - summer - early autumn season.

As ever, I have nothing to gain from this shameless recommendation; I just like these boots, rate them and would like to offer them up as a suggestion.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Part time mountain rescue so at times we have to lug silly amounts of kit. I find it handy to head out now and again with that sort of load to keep the body used to doing it. But it was more of an example of my own personal limits of what my ankles can cope with with/without boots, twisted/broken ankles etc is something I never am willing to risk hense why I use boots as soon as the weight starts to go up. No shoe no matter how good can beat a good boot for rolling on an ankle with load.

Ah, that's an unusual usecase, and one I wouldn't expect the OP to be hitting up against. My duty footware are magnum boots. But I only wear them as they are PPE and I don't have a choice.

What's in the 35kg load out, I'm curious.

J

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Ah, that's an unusual usecase, and one I wouldn't expect the OP to be hitting up against. My duty footware are magnum boots. But I only wear them as they are PPE and I don't have a choice.

What's in the 35kg load out, I'm curious.

J

Some team kit is pretty heavy Julia, if a team has to manage a fallen climber (for example) on technical ground you might be looking at the following list:

Stretcher 8 - 20 Kg (depending on make and model)
Casbag 4 kg
Vacum mattress 4 kg
Medical kit 5 kg
Technical crag kit 10 kg
Rope 10 - 20 kg
Personal kit 5 - 10 kg (depending on time of year and the situation)

These are only rough weights but even spread amongst the team MR still have to hump some big loads. Looks like Rich's team mates don't like him mind:p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE