Boots for skis AND crampons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Not sure how what grade skiing you do but ifyou are looking at touring you really need to spend time get half decent at straight downhill (on and off piste) first.

To be honest with you, that's probably what's going to come and bite me in the **** sooner or later. The problem being I'm much more interested in skiing as a way of getting to new places when the weather's bad, than I am in learning downhill skiing and doing that well.

Not that downhill wasn't fun to learn when I learnt the basics of it. Just that after a while going up and down the same stretch of dry slope loses a bit of appeal, and to go and have a week at a resort in the Alps somewhere - well, that's serious money. And having now moved, I'm now even further from a dry slope here in the UK.

I can see how trying skiing off the beaten track must be a lot easier if you're already experienced in the more usual downhill skiing, but I'm sort of hoping there's a flavour or two of it that is achievable for someone who is not coming with a lot of downhill skiing experience. Probably not the Alpine touring/Ski mountaineering or Telemark side of it I'm afraid to guess! Maybe I should just price up how much a week of downhill would be and break the back of it, so to speak...

Oct 31, 2011
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly, thanks for this thread - Very informative!

I am also looking for a ski binding/boot/crampon combo. However I already have a pair of Scarpa Mantas and am looking for some binding that will specifically fit these boots I also bought some Salomon MiniMax snowblades off eBay (their very nice!), however the binding on these do not fit my Mantas. See link below for picture:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1596697/binding.JPG

I think snowblades are the best option, purely because they are easy to carry. I live near the Peak District and I will only be using them there, so probably no runs further than 300m - 400m, and only a handfull of time a year - When I go to the Alps I will hire proper skis and boots.

Not sure if you can still get them but our old blades have a rigid binding which will take a Scarpa Vega or a Manta

Simon > Please could you post a photo of the bindings on your snowblades?

Has anyone used those Berwyn Bindings?

Lastly does anyone know if the any of the Dynafit bindings will fit regualr B2 mountain boots or do you have to buy the Dynafit boots?

I will keep this thread updated when (hopefully) I find some binding that fit!

Thanks,
Sam

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dynafit bindings and other ski bindings will not go on Manta - you are going to need ski / ski mountaineering boots.

Berwin bindings are designed for use on the flat not down or up hill. And you'll still need skins or half skins on the skis to move.

Soft boots and flat terrain "treking" bindings are not going to work on blades - they are designed for down hill only. And you are asking for a broken ankle if you try down hill with that set up.

Jul 13, 2011
Essex
You are asking for a lot - a boot, binding and ski/snowshoe combo that allows you to walk freely, climb securely and slide effortlessly. I think you need to decide on what compromise suits you or the conditions you expect to encounter best. After all, different cultures have developed very different solutions to this dilemma.

The other thing I would ask is why, if it is within your competence, would you not want to ski down a slope? That is part of the point and the fun of using skis. Shoeshoes might be better than skis on moderate terrain (30-45 degrees) or very deep snow, but on gentler slopes and firmer conditions, skis are going to be much faster, more energy efficient and give you a bigger thrill.

Assuming that you don't want to do much front pointing in crampons, nor do you want to do much aggresive downhill skiing, I would suggest you explore getting a pair of stiff leather telemark boots and touring skis with 3 pin bindings plus skins. I think this would be a better compromise than climbing boots and strap bindings or blades.

You will be able to walk in the boots like normal 4 season walking boots. They will take 10 point crampons no problem. The skis will be light and allow you to tour and do gentle descents - something you can't do with snowshoes. You don't absolutely need to learn to telemark, but it would help on the steeper descents. The flat touring part is fairly intuitive with a bit of practice.

James

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Hi all,

The reason I was a bit hesitant on the skiing downhill bit was just due to a few disclaimers I heard about Silvretta bindings meant for flexible (non-plastic) mountain boots, namely don't treat them as if you are securely strapped into a plastic pair of downhill skis! I guess that might be the case with that particular style of binding and the boots they're meant for, but as you say Telemark kit does sound a lot better for the skiing bit - my only concern was it wouldnt be so good with the spikes with a duckbill on the front of the boot, prior to this thread I had no idea that Telemark boots could take crampons. Also, I'm never tried Telemark turns before, so that was a bit offputting too!

It's funny you both should mention this because a few weeks ago I found online a store in Norway selling their retired military skis with Rottetella bindings (100 or 120 I think, the wire type) plus poles for a reasonable price, and was wondering if I could work it with some of the GF's family currently over there to get ahold of them. I'd also looked at Denbigh surplus's website, though at the Alico Telemark boots they have rather than the plastics, unfortunately not in my size tho! I think I need to figure out the skis a bit better (sounds like they had a few different types at different times, Asnes springs to mind as being one manufacturer) and how to get ahold of some boots in a good size before I take the plunge, but it's good to know the kit can be had at a decent price and that Telemark boots can take 10 pointers.

Jul 13, 2011
Essex
Rottefella and Voile still make 3 pin bindings, some with cables and some with a safety release. Crispi and Andrew (Italian), as well as Alico, still make leather telemark boots. I have no experience of military surplus skis. I'm guessing they will be chapter but heavier and less technically advanced as current civilian models. You want a lighter radonee ski, if you think you will be doing more downhill, or a nordic touring ski, if you think you will be doing more flats. Braemar Mountain Sports and Telemark Pyrenees are good places to look online for tele equipment - I've shopped with them both but no association. Allen and Mike's Really Cool Telemark Tips is a good book to help get your started on telemarking - available form Amazon. Google and YouTube are also good sources on inspiration, e.g. www.telemarktips.com Having skied a pair of alpine carving skis in soft leather boots down a resort for a few days while I was still learning, you have my sympathy but it's worth it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE