Boots/footware

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ketchup said:
take of your shoes......It was hell! Me taking 5 minutes everytime shedding and putting on these horrible things while the locals in flip-flops had done the trick in seconds.

So true :)

One of the advantages of Meindle over military boots is that they use hooks rather than loops, which makes the kicking your boots of process so much easier.

RGRBOX

Forager
sandbender said:
So true :)

One of the advantages of Meindle over military boots is that they use hooks rather than loops, which makes the kicking your boots of process so much easier.

The advantages of the Hook lace system is also a disadvantage.. walking thru the woods, and having everything catch hold to your boots because of them.. I just use extra long laces, and go with the standard loop system or the speed lace system.. that way, I tie knots in the ends, and just quickly pull the laces slack... I have plenty of extra lace, and when it comes time ot put them back on, I pull once, maybe twice, and shazam!!

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
I've jusy bought myself a pair of Meindl Borneo Pros today to replace some two year old Salomon Gore Tex lined boots. I've deliberately gone away from Gore Tex as I found it kept my feet too warm, good old fashioned leather and some decent waterproofing to keep the leather in good condition.
I looked around for about a month to narrow down my choice and as I live in Keswick that's an awlful lot of choice (around 20 outdoor shops!).
Whatever you go for make sure your happy with them, if they're uncomfortable in the shop they ain't gonna get better on the hills.

Bonzo

ed dickson

Feb 7, 2006
herefordshire
sandbender said:
Careful, its addictive! I've been on an on and off gap year since the early ninties.

:)

I purchased a pair of Meindle Borneos in 1998, I'm still wearing them today and so far I have walked over four thousand miles with them.

As far as other kit goes, the less you have the better.

Second the Borneo vote, I bought some Borneo Pro's just before christmas, and now they're properly worn in they're more comfortable than my trainers!

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Naruska said:
How about a pair of veldskoen? (...try google, here`an example www.vellies.com)

I used to wear shoes like these growing up as a kid in third world countries...and later on, working as a professional safari guide in zimbabwe...the trick is to wear them without socks, which prevents grass seeds from attaching to your socks and digging into your skin...causing painful chafing and sores... they are made out of suede with a naural rubber tread...and are quite moccasin-like by nature...

I`ve even done a bit of "mountaineering" in a pair in the swiss alps. Once the`re broken in and your feet have adapted, it`s almost like walking barefoot....in a positive sense :)

Marko

Horses for courses ...and that applies to footwear, too. Apart from slippers, I make it a rule not to own any footwear I wouldn't be happy walking 10 miles in. But you can over-gun in the footwear department. Unless you're on a serious yomp in testing terrain, you don't really need £200 boots with tractor tyre treads.

A lot of the time I knock around in a wrecked old pair of 'blunnies' (Blundestone), or an even wreckeder and older pair of 'vellies' that I bought over 20 years ago in South Africa. I have two pairs of brilliant Clarks shoes that were bought on sale many years ago and that have really held up: some of the toughest and most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. There is such a thing as footwear snobbery, which could prevent a person from sellecting the most appropriate things to put on his/her feet.

Unless you're permanently wading through bogs, there is merit in the lighter veldschoen/desert boot approach. Try John Muirden for some interesting South African shoes/boots that John Muirden brings into the U.K. They come in half sizes, I believe.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE