Boot shrinking advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 14, 2012
Ireland
I bought myself a pair of Viper tactical boots at a local outdoor shop a few months ago, and frankly, they're about a size too big for me. This was really noticeable for the first time today when I was out walking. Viper boots are waterproof and made mostly of leather, but they also have thinsulate and Breathatex material in the insole and the ankles.

Here's the boots http://www.viperkit.co.uk/site/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1153

Are they safe for shrinking? Is so, how should I go about doing it? I've never done it before. These are my first pair of decent boots and I don't want to wreck them :p. Thanks guys.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome o the forum!

I don't know that I'd recommend trying to shrink them. You really need boots that fit you properly if you're going to do any serious walking. You might try padding with insoles and things like that from a reputable supplier but to be perfectly frank I'd say if they don't fit you, get some which do. Potentially doing serious harm to your feet and other bits of your structure for the want of a few quid spent on a pair of boots is barmy. You might be able to sell them to cut your losses a bit.

A good supplier will measure your feet and advise on proper fit, but I'm afraid I don't know any in Ireland.

Jul 14, 2012
Ireland
Welcome o the forum!

I don't know that I'd recommend trying to shrink them. You really need boots that fit you properly if you're going to do any serious walking. You might try padding with insoles and things like that from a reputable supplier but to be perfectly frank I'd say if they don't fit you, get some which do. Potentially doing serious harm to your feet and other bits of your structure for the want of a few quid spent on a pair of boots is barmy. You might be able to sell them to cut your losses a bit.

A good supplier will measure your feet and advise on proper fit, but I'm afraid I don't know any in Ireland.

Hey :) Thank you.

I don't have the option to buy a new pair unfortunately. I'm kicking myself too because I saw loads of light German ex-army boots in excellent condition for only €45 a few days ago in the same shop. I'm only a scout and all my scouting equipment comes from my reluctant parents wallet :p Wearing a couple of pairs of thick socks and a big insole is probably what I'll do now if shrinking is not advisable, but I won't be surprised if I get trenchfoot with the sweat and heat it'll make.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
You won't be able to shrink them. The reality is that with time the leather and textile will 'give' and make the boot even less of a fit. Perhaps you could trade them with a mate who has that size of feet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE