Boot dryers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I've seen some boot dryers advertised on various websites, they are the kind you stick in your boots like socks, not the ones that plug into the wall and heat your boots up.

Anyway, has anyone used these sorts of boot dryers and are they any good ?

hi there,
I personally don't use these (although I have seen them advertised). However in ski rental shops on the continent they have huge industrial sized drying racks for many boots at once. These, on brief inspection, appeared to be merely radiated hanging rods in a mildly de-humidified room.

Personally I use the good old-fashioned combination of a crushed sunday times and a radiator. Never let me down so far.

woodwalker

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I don't use boot dryers either, to be honest. When I'm sleeping in a tent I usually tuck my boots under the footbox of my sleeping bag at the other end of the tent to dry them out as much as I can during a trip.

When I'm home from a trip, I let them sun dry for a few days, knock all the mud off them and take a horsehair brush to them until they look brand new. Basically, I'm a tad obsessive about my boots and gear and my friends don't quite understand it.

Clean is good though!

Adam

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
My problem is that I'm in the TA, last month we went to Sennybridge in Brecon for a week and the only way to describe it is "WET"

Although I removed my boots whilst asleep they never got the chance to dry out

I have considered taking a copy of the "Scum" with me to stuff in them but these boot dryers which seem to be bags of spilsorb or similar may work better. Problem is of course if you have to heat them to dry them out. I am also in the process of considering buyinh "SealSkinz" or similar socks

We had one lad in the med centre becuase of his feet, thats how bad it was

Fantastic week !!! :AR15firin

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i use them when i go scuba diving (even though ) i use a dry suit it still gets wet inside from a lot of factors i pop them in seal it up and the next day diving is dry again i personally find them great.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Mercury,

Which ones are you looking at getting, I haven't got any but have thought about it in the past, I've seen some on Field and Treks website reduced from £20 to £10, might be worth a try mate. Mmmmmmm Sennybridge, lovely place ;)

Brian

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I was looking at drizone, Sennybridge was indeed a nice place. If I only took away one thing from the week then it was the knowledge that hills that look not so bad on a map with "not so bad" contour lines often are the total opposite. Having said that my map reading is a lot better than some peoples on the camp. I had to nav a close target recce and managed to hit the nail on the head so to speak only to forget it was by then broad daylight and crawl along a hedgeline instead of wriggling on my stomach. Good job it was only an exercise. Still got to take the whole platoon in though for the final attack so being the only one who know the route did have its advantages

Even if we did get ambushed on the way and never made it .........

But I digress

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE