Books, Boots, wtare filter, NV and others (vs a ride to Dartmoor)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I'm going for a hike on Dartmoor in August. This is the result of a change of plan and I end up with a non optimal door to door trip that leaves me in Exeter August 5th evening after the last bus to the moor. I could take a cab but a swap for a short ride from Exeter to around Moretonhampstead could save me some cash, clear out a bit the closet and make someone happy.

I'm listing below details of what I'm looking for and what I can propose so we can align demand an offer along a fair deal.

Looking for
a/ a ride from Exeter to some place near Moretonhampstead where I can put my tarp the evening of August 5th
b/ possibly a drive back from somewhere on the moor (e.g. Princetown) to Exeter August 11th morning
c/ a mora that I can return to the person if we do b/ (I will be coming from France on the Eurostar so cannot take a knife with me on either way)

and unrelated items of interest would be:
  • a small axe like Gransfors/Wetterling Wildlife (but this would need to be mailed to France for the same Eurostar reason)
  • Attenborough DVDs
  • Doctor Who DVDs (I know, quite unrelated but still!)
  • possibly some bushcraft related books, I have quite a few already but please feel free to propose some titles
  • zebra billy
  • "traditional looking" pocket knife (shipped), e.g. rough rider
  • Flexcut Whittlin' Jack
  • Adze, froe, auger
  • old axe head like those lovely Kent
  • a Berghaus Munro pack

What I'm proposing
Those are items I could bring with me for the swap. I could also mail them but most are relatively low value so the mailing cost from France might make the option unattractive.

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/S6Oqk#0

• Bison Bushcraft boots, dyed dark brown. Size 9. A bit dusty on the pics, they are in very good shape. No tears, very little wear visible on sole.
  • Drinksafe water filter + home made waterbag to use as gravity filter. Still lot of lif ein the filter. Has been used for around 200 liters max.
  • Books: the two Gooley's navigator/explorer books, A long trek home, the good life

Things I'm letting as giveaways:
  • a small Tatonka sherpa pot 0.6L, along with the lower part of an Ikea drainer to use as firepit.
  • a BROKEN pair of Nikon Sportster 10*25 binoculars. They fell and need collimation. They are too cheap to warrant professional service. But if you want to try yourself or scavenge them for lens ...
  • a LMF spork, small Nalgene vial
  • Decathlon synthetic upper and lower warm underwear layers. Comfortable but stinks quick! Size L.

Items reserved for swap

To Cowboy
  • a cheap Decathlon sleeping back liner. Synthetic, 500 gr, rated for 5°C but more realistically would add 5-10°C to your bag. Not usable on its own except maybe a good summer.
  • Sealskinz goretex socks, size 8-9
  • a used 1000/6000 japanese stone, some nicks but usable
  • mora spoon knife

Other swap pending:
  • Night Vision monocular (recently bought from BlackFeather). Very good condition but I found it not easy to use (narrow field of vision). I wanted to try without spending too much and it served well this purpose.

Cheers
P.

Last edited:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Detail on the Night Vision monocular:

Newton NV3
Technical data:
Generation 1
Visual magnification 3x
Objective Lens 42 mm
Resolving power, lines 36 mm
Field of view 20 degrees
12 mm eye relief
Dioptrinkorrektur ± 4 diopters
max. Observation distance 250 m
Operating voltage 3V
2 x AAA batteries
Operating temperature -20 ° C - +40 ° C
Size (L x B x H) mm 165 x 55 x 83mm
Weight 0.43 kg

It can be yours + all the stuff in the "giveaway" section, just for two 15mi rides from/to Exeter + the loan of a mora ;)
Add some item from my "looking for" and you can have all the listed items: boots, filter, books ...

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hi Peir, im afraid i cant help you out with a ride but maybe i can help fund your taxi. Or even trade for some of the items your after! :)

Im interested in...

a cheap Decathlon sleeping back liner. Synthetic, 500 gr, rated for 5°C but more realistically would add 5-10°C to your bag. Not usable on its own except maybe a good summer.
Sealskinz goretex socks, size 8-9
a used 1000/6000 japanese stone, some nicks but usable
mora spoon knife

Iv got a Swedish small forest axe and many other bits iv just posted up in members classified! Feel free to have a look and drop me a PM :)

Picture of the axe isnt great but you get the idea! :)

IMAG0327.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Pierr

Can't help with the lift I'm afraid. However, a word of warning about ticks on Dartmoor. Make sure you check yourself thoroughly and get a good tick-remover, just in case!

Have fun.

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
yeh sure mate,

Total length is 18"
Handle length is 16"
The head reads 'M,U,S Sweden'

its in cood condition. its pretty much the same as my GB small forest axe.. does the same work. The edge is sharpish but 10 minutes on a wet stone and you could have a shave with it if you wanted?

:)

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I don't think I can help directly as I don't know if I'll be in the area for the dates you mention. I'm not very interested in what you're offering to swap either but one of the Dartmoor Jolly Boys might be, so post a cross reference in the SW area forum. If you're very luck you might co-incide with one of our meets.

What I can offer is some advice:

Moretonhampstead is a pretty little town. It does lie within Dartmoor National Park but it definately does NOT sit amongst open moorland and the areas where camping is permitted. Rather it is set amongst farmland with not too much woodland around. To get from Moretonhamstead to the open moors would take about half a day to walk, along roads flanked by high hedges and fields, you would also be climbing for about a 1000 feet. So if you get your lift I suggest you would need to be dropped off a good bit further west - say at, or just before, the Warren House Inn. Then you'd have direct access to about 200 sq miles of open moorland to play in.

Make sure you know how to use a map and compass/GPS properly, get a weather forecast and leave details of your planned route with somebody. In good weather Dartmoor is a sweetheart. In bad weather she can be a real bitch - and it can change in minutes.

Oh! And mobile phones don't work for the greater part of Dartmoor.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to post some pictures when you get back.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi everyone

@Cowboy
I was ideally looking for a shorter axe (as I have a Scandinavian forest one) but still interested. Will follow up by PM.

@Andy BB
Thanks for the words of caution. I'm pretty well aware of tick dangers. The small buggers are not lacking in my area either. Mirror and tick remover always on the ready ;) And my trousers are permentherin treated.

@Ichneumon
That is very useful info, thx!

For the anecdote, my first "real" hike was on Dartmoor, three years ago. I had done some overnighters before in the woods near my place but never so substantial. I did a tracking course in Canonteign Falls and from there walked to the moor. I lost more than a day in the maze of farm paths and on those narrow roads with tight edges - not feeling too safe. I had three days on uninterrupted rain. Miserable but good learning!

I will definitely post on the SW sub forum to get some insights on making the best of the trip. It is not long so I don't want to loose too much "friction" time.

Cheers
P.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE