Book Recommendation for Land Navigation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Can anyone recommend a good book or two that covers land navigation and orienteering? Preferably one that covers both compass and GPS techniques.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Can anyone recommend a good book or two that covers land navigation and orienteering? Preferably one that covers both compass and GPS techniques.

You could try the British Mountaineering Councils “Mountaincraft & Leadership” – good all round book.

Or more specifically “Mountain Navigation” I’ve got the old format but I believe the new one has a new chapter on GPS use.

Pretty sure you can get them in the US via Amazon.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Orienteering does not inc. GPS but is an excellent way to Micro navigate and learn navigation. It helped me be better at navigating, especially in winter when doing 159 munros.

I'm a BOF Insructor so advise looking at the BOFstuff online.
http://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/

Going to a safe area, near you home with a pre printed map, obtainable from your local Orienteering club will help learn the basic skills. You may have a country park nearby with a permanent course setup with maps for practicing. These are normally low difficulty. In fact it's becoming the Orienteering season now as the brackens dieing off.

Nick

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Mountain navigation by Peter cliff is a good basic book, it does'nt cover gps but is easy to read and just gives what you need.
Soloman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE