Bonobo manipulating flint to create tools ...

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
That is amazing. I'm always amazed at animals that have developed some further form of intelligence other than the norm for their species.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Birds not only use tools but select and adapt those tools as well (papers have been published on corvids using, selecting and adapting twigs to extract insects from holes). Its interesting to see for sure

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm not sure this is a genuine sign of advanced tool-making. The bonobo was taught how to knap flints before this experiment, so its not exactly an original design. If it had been filmed in the wild doing it however - now THAT would be spectacular!

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
i think they've been videoed using tools and improvising tools from stuff in the wild (but not using flint i don't think)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What would be really interresting would be to see them make a flint blade and attach it to a shaft. Arrow or spear, but that could be scary indeed.

All of the great apes have been recorded with some kind of tool use, and tool selection ability; the orang utan especially can be taught to perform human type chores (females helping villagers with their washing comes to mind) the bonobo is supposedly most like us, but with some rather uninhibited methods of easing social interaction. Basically they're like hippies, make love not war, iimmc :rolleyes: :)
We have so reduced their numbers though that evolution of their species must be seriously compromised :sigh:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE