Bone,Dog Rosewood,Sinew and feather.(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,today i made this arrow which is intended to catch fish,its a harpoon with a detatchable head.

I abraded the Bone point on sandstone,then i cut the knock and wound on Sinew at each end to give added strength.

I then drilled the hole in the point using a flint shard,next i hand spun the cordage.

The fletching was next,the feathers are held on by sinew,with a little help from some pitch at the start.

Anyway once assembled it looks like this. Its length is 23 inches.
harpoon0640x480.jpg

harpoon1640x480.jpg

harpoon2640x480.jpg

A close up of the point inserted into the shaft.
harpoon3640x480.jpg

A close up of the fletching(lighter for scale).
harpoon6640x480.jpg

A close up of the point mounted,and how the cordage is attached to the shaft.
harpoon5640x480.jpg

And the point out of the shaft.
harpoon4640x480.jpg

And finally the arrow head close up.
harpoon7640x480.jpg

Well thanks for looking,just wish i could use it for :fishing: ,but alas its against the law :rolleyes:.

Cheers Stuart.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stuart,

Loving your work! :cool:
Honestly, fantastic authentic stuff.
Thourghly impressed by your level of knowedge and your skill at doing this sort of work

Cheers
Chris

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is looking really cool, I think that would actually work really well, yet indeed it is illegal.
To bad that the law has to protect nature from the ignorant by restricting things that could mean useful for those who respect nature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE