Bombs in London

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Luckily I drive though central London, but my girlfriend uses the bus at that time, but was no where near there though, and the school said she had arrived ok. But her sister was at King's Cross at the time and was evacced when it all kicked off. It was very worrying for us all as noone could get hold of her due to the mobile cutoffs. Also her boyfriend would have been on the tube at Liverpool Street, and noone could get him either. Fortunatly he had decided to drive yesterday or he would have been down there. Driving home in the afternoon was ok until I hit the last 2 miles from Camden to Holloway and this took over an hour. All the people I saw were in good spirits, possibly the British resolve, or just relief that it wasn't them that got hit.

The thing that worries me though is that lack of information. People were ordered out of tube stations but were not told why and thus tried elsewhere, clogging up the system further and putting themselves in more danger. Seconldy, I strongly feel that there should be advice notices all over the tube system telling you how to get out of a stationary train in an emergency, and also telling you that the live rail is switched off in such situations. Too many people were too scared to get off thinking they would be run over or electrocuted. Also there was no communication from the drivers to the passengers who survived. Ok, they were probably in shock, but surely some system should be in place? That way the driver could have mentioned the lack of juice in the rail. It is also worrying that just like overland trains, there is no emergency method to open doors and windows. People trying to break them with bare hands in their desperation to get air and get out. Luckily I always am prepared for most eventualities while on the bike, so I carry all sorts of stuff in my bag, even when not on the bike, so I could have got out and lead people along the track to safety, but how many people do carry such stuff? The Met would probably nick you for carrying stuff anyway...

There did seem to be a reduced police presence leading up in the last few days, so I guess it was kind of inevitable all things considered. If someone wanted to do it, then this was the perfect time. Lets hope that will be it for now. But i won't be holding my breath.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
zambezi said:
Bambo

The pernicious cancer that trails in the wake of terrorism is helplessness borne of the fact that the victims have nothing to strike back at. I would not term my earlier entry as either political or ranting. It is the minimum positive verbal response that affirms that terrorism will not change us. Our thoughts and prayers are also with all the familys affected.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Vince

Wups, that wasn't aimed at you or your post in any way at all buddy!!!! It was a general statement of how I feel, hence I said "All" before I said it.

Anyway the main point was that I was pleased to find out that you and TIna were safe and well. :)

All the best and see you at the end of the Month :D

Bam.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Now that there has been time to count the dead and injured and find out the basics of what happened, ie how many bombs, where and so on I'm ready to comment on the events.

Fatalities 1in a million of the population
Injuries somewhere under 1 in 50,000 of the population
If you look at the picture of the bus in the next day's 'daily mirror' you will see it carried a chilling warning on it's side.
While there is a need to be vigilant it is better to have a calm resolve and defiance than become hysterical and operate on a knee jerk reflex that feeds the terror and fear the perpertrators seek to create.

As regards the comments about 'urbancraft' such as carrying a torch, a small maglight on a keyring takes up next to no space in a pocket. But it's the bushcraft skill of making use of what is around you that helps. Although I suspect many of the burns would have been less severe had people been wearing pure wool clothing rather than synthetics which melt into the skin etc.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
bambodoggy said:
Wups, that wasn't aimed at you or your post in any way at all buddy!!!! It was a general statement of how I feel, hence I said "All" before I said it.

Anyway the main point was that I was pleased to find out that you and TIna were safe and well. :)

All the best and see you at the end of the Month :D

Bam.

Phil

Note to self: set flame thrower to "off" position before engaging keyboard! Apologies if my reply was a bit sharp, emotions were still running high at that point.

Yeah, we hope to see you all at the end of the month. I am currently scheduled to work that weekend, but am trying to swap that out if at all possible. We could certainly do with a spot of fireside chatter and outdoor chillin'. :D

Vince

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE