Boletus ident needed please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Found these in mixed woodland, they stain steel blue when cut and smell pleasant. There don't seem to be any poisonous boletes in my Roger Phillips book, but I can't find a pic that definitely looks like these.

13092009006.jpg

13092009007.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks, the Wiki picture shows the dark grey pattern on the stem much better than my Roger Phillips book. I'm going to eat them!

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Eww... Yes, we found some gorgeous looking ones when we were out the other week, that were a toss up between summer bolete and bitter bolete.

Only one way to find out, I thought, and took it upon myself to taste them... One of THE most disgusting things I've ever had. and that was just with the tiniest taste at the front of my mouth. YUCK!

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
I'm sorry. Probably this isn't Leccinum scabrum.

I'm pretty sure that this is the Birch Bolete, but it can be Leccinum rufum (Boletus versipelle) - Orange Birch Bolete.
http://www.hlasek.com/leccinum_versipelle_ac7592.html

But on your pics that pileus has colour like L.scabrum .
Orange birch bolete change colour to steel blue when being cut, but pileus is orange.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, I et 'em. The only slightly poisonous bolete seems to be B.satanas, and even that isn't when picked young and cooked properly. I did enough research to allay any fears, and settled on the Birch Bolete as my ident. Still not 100%, but not too worried with this type of polypore.

Although mushroomy they weren't as tasty as ceps, perhaps even a little tasteless and boring, although they were mixed with supermarket closed cups aswell. No problems at all, not so much as a fart out of place!

Thanks for your input, it's handy to have as many sources of info as possible when identifying fungus for eating.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Only one way to find out, I thought, and took it upon myself to taste them... One of THE most disgusting things I've ever had. and that was just with the tiniest taste at the front of my mouth. YUCK!

Apparently the Bitter Bolete tastes like bile? That was the only one I was worried they may be, but obviously not by your reaction!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE