blurggh!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
I foolishly decided to give limpets a go last week...
According to my edible seashore book they taste like the little rubbers on the ends of pencils. I ended up cooking them in a basic spicy stew with onions, tomatoes, chilli etc
I have never heard of a better description for them than in that book.. they are terrible, they take ages to chew and taste exactly as they smell. Just like little bits of rubber
i have always thought that you should try everything once ... the only exception is now limpets..

thank god i had a leftover curry in the fridge :)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Having heard RM say they're good on TV, I was sceptical - glad someone can back that up.

In case you ever get curious, you can strike jellyfish off the list of things to eat in anything but a survival situation. Flippin' foul, never again.

:)

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I used to work as a Bouncer on the doors in Scarborough.
Ever summer I'd watch bus loads of drinkers move from pub to pub down the foreshore before stopping at the sea food stalls where they devoured cockles, whelks, limpets, queenies, crab sticks and such before settin off up town.
Many a hardened drinker fell foul of the sea foods but the stalls are still there and still doing business.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Recipe for limpets
Put a fist size rock in a 10cm Zebra billie, put in 5 limpets and cover with water. Boil for 10 mins - change water. Boil for 10mins - change water. continue boiling and changing the water until the rock is tender. Trow away water and limpets and eat the rock!
Enjoy!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Bah, what's wrong with everyone? I don't mind them at all.
I like fish and I like Haribo, so why not a combination of both?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
When I tried them recently I too found them to be a little tough. I think however that they were over cooked. The first one I tried din't exactly taste bad per se, but certainly didn't inspire me to try another, however I did, the second was quite a bit better, tasting mainly of something from the sea if you know what I mean, but had a hint of sweetness to it, was odd, almost 'nice' lol. As with all things I think that individual animals will taste very differnt depending on loads of different aspects. I'm certainly up for continuing my erm.. experiments in limpets. I tried these plain, hopefully next time, I'll be able to knock up a sauce for them with some decent herbs and whatnot, to give it some body as it were..

Cheers,

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`ve eaten limpets several times and never found them chewy nor blurggh!
But I have eaten them plain.
Could it be that some of the ingredients in the stew don`t mix well with limpets? A bit like cod liver and chocolate sauce.

Tor

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I actualy found limpets on a resturant menu as a starter

I had to try them .... not bad but ordered something else the next time

Now the octopuss main course I did have again Yum!

Mike

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Recipe for limpets
Put a fist size rock in a 10cm Zebra billie, put in 5 limpets and cover with water. Boil for 10 mins - change water. Boil for 10mins - change water. continue boiling and changing the water until the rock is tender. Trow away water and limpets and eat the rock!
Enjoy!

I hate rocks. Eating them is OK, it's when they come out that scares me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE